Amazon, Uber pose challenges to FedEx, UPS delivery monopoly

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Amazon, Uber pose challenges to FedEx, UPS delivery monopoly - Marketwatch

Legacy delivery companies like FedEx Corp. and United Parcel Service Inc. played a huge role in the decline of the U.S. Postal Service, but it’s time for them to pay the piper--technology has brought them face-to-face with their own competitive threat: Amazon.com Inc., Uber and other startups.

Mobility, brought upon by the proliferation of smartphones, apps and connected devices, has created a climate of instant gratification and given way to a fast-growing market for on-demand delivery services, such as Postmates.

“It’s a changing of the guards,” said Roger Kay, a technology analyst and founder of consulting company Endpoint Technologies Associates “If the old guards can’t provide a comparable experience and comparable price, in some sense they aren’t going to be competitive anymore.”

Swammy

That's true, however a Company as Big as UPS is worth a lot of $$$$ that all they have to do is Buy a Startup that is cutting in2 there business. I never followed UPS as a Stock. Does any1 know if UPS is 1 of those Companies that Own so many more companies?

Swammy

MAKAVELI

That's true, however a Company as Big as UPS is worth a lot of $$$$ that all they have to do is Buy a Startup that is cutting in2 there business. I never followed UPS as a Stock. Does any1 know if UPS is 1 of those Companies that Own so many more companies?

Swammy
As big as UPS is, I doubt UPS has the $ to buy those 2 " STARTUPS ". Especially Amazon.;)

Swammy

Your right about Amazon! They have been established 4 quite sometime. Amazon has already started with there DRONES. I saw a 60 minutes Interview with Jeff Bezos of AMAZON & he stated that there Average Package weighed only 5 lbs.

oldngray

nowhere special

Swammy

UPS has a big history of buying small companies.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
UPS might be able to buy a startup like jet.com, leave their structure intact and just handle all the shipping. Assuming that Jet grows into the Amazon competitor that they aim to be it would be worth it.

bbsam

Staff member
By the time any startup got big enough to even be a blip on UPS's radar I'll be retired so who cares !
Well your should since you wouldn't get to vote on contracts then. Your long term future is to some degree influenced by UPS'.

Packmule

Your right about Amazon! They have been established 4 quite sometime. Amazon has already started with there DRONES. I saw a 60 minutes Interview with Jeff Bezos of AMAZON & he stated that there Average Package weighed only 5 lbs.
Tell us more about these drones. Like what kind of receivers are they targeting? I just can't fathom a drone landing in someone's driveway without killing the dog!