Delivering to customers later out of spite

letticesandwich

I'm a relatively new driver, 6 months in. But this situation has to happen and want to know of similar occurrences and feedback.

Situation one. Business on second floor, only entrance is a side door up a drive that can not be navigated. Awning is too low. A cigar shop so they get humidors and other large trade packages. I tried to get there everyday around 1. Brought all the stuff up the stairs. Most everyone would drop the stuff and run as the receiver is a fat idiot. One day I did not have them, it was put on a commercial route. At pickups I asked if they got a delivery. The guy says, "yeah, that driver knows how to do your job right, he got here at 11." I laugh, but fat idiot is serious. I had made this dude a priority to get delivered before 1 on a heavy industrial route, bring the stuff upstairs, and he seriously says that. From that point on he got his stuff around 4 and I left it at the door. After all, I don't know how to do my job right anyway.

Situation two. An apartment complex. Delivery to the office. I knock, hear someone talking. Knock again and again still hearing people talking. The office property manager opens the door shaking mad. "Don't you know I'm on the phone! I'm closed!" The office closes at 4:30. Its 4:35. She signs the board in a huff and I get out of there. A recent delivery attempt in the complex. Customer wants it left at the office. At the office the women says I'm not signing, I'm going on vacation and the office won't be open. Sorry customer, NI1. At this point, out of spite, I will purposely avoid that area till after 4:30 just not to deal with her or deliver her stuff. Let her pick it up.

Any similar stories?

I'm a relatively new driver, 6 months in. But this situation has to happen and want to know of similar occurrences and feedback.

Situation one. Business on second floor, only entrance is a side door up a drive that can not be navigated. Awning is too low. A cigar shop so they get humidors and other large trade packages. I tried to get there everyday around 1. Brought all the stuff up the stairs. Most everyone would drop the stuff and run as the receiver is a fat idiot. One day I did not have them, it was put on a commercial route. At pickups I asked if they got a delivery. The guy says, "yeah, that driver knows how to do your job right, he got here at 11." I laugh, but fat idiot is serious. I had made this dude a priority to get delivered before 1 on a heavy industrial route, bring the stuff upstairs, and he seriously says that. From that point on he got his stuff around 4 and I left it at the door. After all, I don't know how to do my job right anyway.

Situation two. An apartment complex. Delivery to the office. I knock, hear someone talking. Knock again and again still hearing people talking. The office property manager opens the door shaking mad. "Don't you know I'm on the phone! I'm closed!" The office closes at 4:30. Its 4:35. She signs the board in a huff and I get out of there. A recent delivery attempt in the complex. Customer wants it left at the office. At the office the women says I'm not signing, I'm going on vacation and the office won't be open. Sorry customer, NI1. At this point, out of spite, I will purposely avoid that area till after 4:30 just not to deal with her or deliver her stuff. Let her pick it up.

Any similar stories?
Every route has a few of them. dont get bent,dont let them break you. You can only do,what you can only do!

If they dont like,give them the office phone number. Let them deal with it.

CHALLY9TX

Any similar stories?

Are you getting a signature for the pkgs at the cigar shop?

Why would you return to the office after attempting at the apartment when you knew the office was gonna be closed? Write on the customers note that the office was closed.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Just as long as you're making an attempt before 1700 and/or during posted business hours you're doing your job.

If a customer has an issue with the time you're arriving, inform them of our next day air services as well as our MyChoice services.

Don't ever let them get you fired up. You can win the battle every time if you are smart. Be as respectfully difficult as you can be within the guidelines/methods that UPS has set and the customer will change their tune in no time. Trust me.

letticesandwich

Chally, yes it is a business so just walk in the front door and get a sig from the clerk. And fat idiot would sign too as he did not have balls to ask the stuff to be brought up.

Maybe it was not clear. A while ago was the attempt to office where the property manager was shaking mad because it was 4:35. Recently was the attempt to the apartment, note on door saying deliver to office, and the women refused because it cramps her vacation (delivery attempt during posted business hours), hence NI1 to the customer.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Don't get caught up in customer games. Continue to deliver the cigar shop at a consistent time. The guy may be a pain but pains often will call in a complaint. As far as the office goes, try to get there on time because it beats having a bunch of send agains.

Last edited:

letticesandwich

Yes Dr.Brown. I would break it to get to the cigar shop by 1. Its normal placement was later in the day. The apartment complex is way past 4:30 in ORION, after pickups.

wayfair

swollen member
keep doing what you're doing then.

With the apt office lady, I'd make sure the office would get their packages, but as for the residents NI1-3

BrownArmy

Delivered them late? No. Do just the bare minimum during the delivery? Yes.

Sounds like OP is breaking ORION to help the fatty at the cigar store...that sounds like above and beyond to me.

Between all the add/cuts, split routes, and general UPS confusion, if it's before 17:00, it's not late.

I cover a split route where two or three companies get their ground after 16:00...I don't make the rules, I just run the route.

Don't forget, you have a route that you've been on for quite some time...us cover drivers are at the whim of the UPS machine!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Not much you can do with the cigar shop. Deliver when Orion tells you to. If he's a pickup, then I would give extra effort.

For the apartment/rental office, ALSO deliver when Orion tells you to, unless it is for the office.
Being residential, you can deliver there at 11:59PM and not be late (according to UPS)

You are doing what you've been instructed to do, so you can't get in trouble for it.
Let management change the delivery order.