Driver Helper Questions

TheNewKid

Hello! About two and a half weeks ago I was hired by UPS to be a Driver Helper. I haven't been called in once. I'm just curious if there is a certain time Drivers start calling in help or if the drivers in my area are just not wanting to call in help? Note that I currently live close to Reno, NV which is quite a large place so I don't believe it's because the area is too small for necessary help.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like they don't need you yet. Not enough of the first Helpers hired have quit yet, give it a little time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
20120914120348!Exploding-head.gif

You've Got Mail

Do people really not like this job? They must hate being outside, or having the time fly by, or getting some exercise on UPS time. Being a helper is cake. Driving is even better.

PT Car Washer

How do you get treated like crap? I don't mean to be so ignorant.
Call you at 1:00 PM to tell you to meet a driver in 45 minutes across town to work 2 hours. Call you two days later to meet a driver in 30 minutes to work 3 hours. Call you 2 days later to meet the driver and work 10 hours. Get the picture.

TheNewKid

To me it just sounds like you had a bad experience. I'm not trying to argue. Even though the job may be vigorous the money is too good to pass up. The re-hire would be nice too. Although the re-hire would be difficult to get.

Cementups

Box Monkey
How do you get treated like crap? I don't mean to be so ignorant.

Well, like I would tell my helpers the first day, "Let's get something straight right from the get go. You're my b1tch for the next 2 months. If you have an issue with that you may as well quit now rather than break my heart later."

PT Car Washer

To me it just sounds like you had a bad experience. I'm not trying to argue. Even though the job may be vigorous the money is too good to pass up. The re-hire would be nice too. Although the re-hire would be difficult to get.
I have to respect your enthusiasm. You can make a lot of money working UPS if you hang in there. Best of luck to you but keep your options open.