Funny Orion story....

upsmaninmi

After two weeks of dealing with this crap, sucked it up and ran Orion 99%. Made prob 40 left turns I wouldn't normally make, did not back into one residential driveway, even had a customer on a busy highway ask me "what the hell was I doing jumping back and forth across the street". What a day. Ran 7 miles over what Orion said running almost 100%. So, who's better here, us or a computer? I say us.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upsmaninmi

I basically ran it stop for stop. Orion said I should have drove 51 miles, I actually drove 58.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

After two weeks of dealing with this crap, sucked it up and ran Orion 99%. Made prob 40 left turns I wouldn't normally make, did not back into one residential driveway, even had a customer on a busy highway ask me "what the hell was I doing jumping back and forth across the street". What a day. Ran 7 miles over what Orion said running almost 100%. So, who's better here, us or a computer? I say us.

Sent using BrownCafe App

It's not the computer it is the idiots that are inputting the information that are the problem. If you put garbage in you get garbage out.

O

OLDMAN3

My personal record... 62 miles over Orion projection running 98% Orion trace.

Ran 41 miles under Orion projection one day when I ditched Orion to get done....and ran about 60 % on trace.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

Sent using BrownCafe App
Clearly your odometer is off. Did you write it up?

JL 0513

Basically? What could you have done to get those 7 miles off?

Orion doesn't work unless you change directions as planned by Orion (backing into driveways). Your next Orion stop probably won't make sense if you don't change directions. This is why you can run 100% and have a mileage explosion if you follow the old UPS rules.

O

OLDMAN3

Actual conversation...

Supervisor: You ran 50 miles over Orion projection yesterday.
Me: I ran 99% on Orion trace
Supervisor: Why, what happened?
Me: Orion doesn't work
End of conversation.

I run Orion order every time it looks like it is under projecting miles. That way when I go way over on miles it can't be blamed on me.

O

OLDMAN3

Orion doesn't work unless you change directions as planned by Orion (backing into driveways). Your next Orion stop probably won't make sense if you don't change directions. This is why you can run 100% and have a mileage explosion if you follow the old UPS rules.
There are no new rules for backing into driveways. Put on the miles and let Orion fail.

ArcherUTR

That and if your time allowance is unrealistic or you are having a heavy day and you are an hour or hours behind 'the plan', then ORION has you doing ridiculous residential work while trying to kill time keeping you close to you pick ups - like running your entire residentials backwards.

UPSGUY72

That and if your time allowance is unrealistic or you are having a heavy day and you are an hour or hours behind 'the plan', then ORION has you doing ridiculous residential work while trying to kill time keeping you close to you pick ups - like running your entire residentials backwards.

ORION isn't so kind of artificial intelligence it it doesn't have a brain. Someone has to input the information ( streets, and address numbers / breaks, one way streets, divided highways, no left / right turns, etc) with out all the correct information the solution that you get is garbage.

O

OLDMAN3

So many things ORION does wrong, to many to list.
Orion can be manipulated by the management team.
Depending on how aggressive they want to be in trying to shave miles they will classify your route into 3 categories:
1 Traveling Salesman
2 Base line
3 Normal route
Each classification will mess up your delivery order in different ways.

Then they can:
-Choose to enter, or not enter your unusual closing times
-Choose to ignore 5 PM deadline for business
-Choose to plan for all, none or part of your break, and place it anytime during the day
-Choose to not allow ground to be sequenced into your NDA run at the beginning of the day
-Choose to only allow ORION to tweak your regular delivery order in very small ways (ORION mirrors RDO)
ETC ETC

When they get aggressive with trying to shave miles by jamming too many stops in before 10:30, or screwing over my business customers with late delivery times etc. I don't bend over backwards to make ORION work.

ArcherUTR

ORION isn't so kind of artificial intelligence it it doesn't have a brain. Someone has to input the information ( streets, and address numbers / breaks, one way streets, divided highways, no left / right turns, etc) with out all the correct information the solution that you get is garbage.

I disagree, the more information you give ORION the crazier it gets. That's why they won't input 5pm closures, school let outs, etc.

The Traveling Salesman Problem is intractable, at least it was when I got my Computer Science Degree, meaning add a few data points and it takes years or forever to do what a human can do in just a few minutes. So whatever solution UPS has come up with is an ad hoc shortcut. It's not a true solution. And if they throw splits from removed cars or late volume and don't give it enough time to optimize, then it's just a waste of time.

Last edited: