My first couple days at UPS.

TheNewKid

So after waiting a bit I finally got called into help out as a helper. My first two days at UPS I can say fairly that I got my achzz worked hard. 300+ stops and 15 hours of work. My opinion is that I love this job. I love the hectic fast paced environment. I know it's only to get worse with the holidays rolling up but I'm going to love this. I might be a little insane for saying this.

upsgrunt

Congratulations, and I'm happy for you. Let me just warn you that the newness wears off quickly and is replaced with disdain and complete exhaustion- nightly. Just do your best and 30 years rolls around pretty quickly.

So after waiting a bit I finally got called into help out as a helper. My first two days at UPS I can say fairly that I got my achzz worked hard. 300+ stops and 15 hours of work. My opinion is that I love this job. I love the hectic fast paced environment. I know it's only to get worse with the holidays rolling up but I'm going to love this. I might be a little insane for saying this.
Where you at doing 300 stops already? This is actually my second week after orientation and just got called on Tuesday to a trainer driver out of my zip code, then on Wednesday to a trainer driver pretty close to me. Tuesday was more of a refresh day on getting back into many of the daily operations as a seasonal helper, Wednesday though, my other trainer driver was putting me on all residential and well lets just say that my legs were not too happy with me after Wednesday. Wednesday the driver had me for 4 hours and he in total had 132 delivery's, Once the 4 hours were up I did 102 of his delivery's so 30 left including pickups.

Though I am new to this forum this is my 3rd seasonal year as helper.

box_beeyotch

Where you at doing 300 stops already? This is actually my second week after orientation and just got called on Tuesday to a trainer driver out of my zip code, then on Wednesday to a trainer driver pretty close to me. Tuesday was more of a refresh day on getting back into many of the daily operations as a seasonal helper, Wednesday though, my other trainer driver was putting me on all residential and well lets just say that my legs were not too happy with me after Wednesday. Wednesday the driver had me for 4 hours and he in total had 132 delivery's, Once the 4 hours were up I did 102 of his delivery's so 30 left including pickups.

Though I am new to this forum this is my 3rd seasonal year as helper.

Did 3 years as a helper before becoming a driver this year, some do the most fun times with several drivers I will ever have at ups. As bad as it may seem sometimes, we got it made here.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Consider yourself lucky that you got so many hours. The company cuts hours for helpers left and right. Do they tell you anything about that at orientation? We got helpers that only get 10 hours for the week.

TheNewKid

They literally tell us nothing but like standard employment procedures like any company would. Nothing I already knew or expected.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my advice to you is get out while you can. move to a warm climate and live in a van down by the water. you can pick up cans for money for basic necessities and get free food at Costco with their samples.

also bars usually have free food at happy hour.

NickyNik

Consider yourself lucky that you got so many hours. The company cuts hours for helpers left and right. Do they tell you anything about that at orientation? We got helpers that only get 10 hours for the week.
I noticed this depends on the hub. I was a helper at one hub and was working enough hours to get overtime. Of course the higher ups weren't happy but we had the busiest route from the building so it was needed. The 2nd I worked at only gave between 20-30 hrs a week, but they were less busy.

YoshiGreen

When I sign in, I keep seeing that I'm approved for 3.25 hours or 3.29 hours and I end up working for 5 or 6 hours. This was only my first week but I'm just wondering if my driver's boss will yell at him one day and next week tell me I can only work that day's hours for sure lol.

Geo926

When I sign in, I keep seeing that I'm approved for 3.25 hours or 3.29 hours and I end up working for 5 or 6 hours. This was only my first week but I'm just wondering if my driver's boss will yell at him one day and next week tell me I can only work that day's hours for sure lol.[/quote

Pay no attention to that piece of paper. Most drivers will keep you all day long, especially as it gets closer to Christmas.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When I sign in, I keep seeing that I'm approved for 3.25 hours or 3.29 hours and I end up working for 5 or 6 hours. This was only my first week but I'm just wondering if my driver's boss will yell at him one day and next week tell me I can only work that day's hours for sure lol.
The assigned hours are typically no where near reality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The assigned hours are typically no where near reality.

...and are really none of your concern....the driver will catch heat if you work beyond that number...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Only stops I did after picking up my helper without him were misloads. My highest amount of approved helper hours for a day were 1.5. He averaged over 4 a day

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
I got 16 hours for this week. For me I like working with the drivers. They are great guys to work with. I find some of the customers amusing. The only real con to this job is dealing with the less than rational customers on occasion.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
...and are really none of your concern....the driver will catch heat if you work beyond that number...

Never once in the 25 or so peaks I had a helper did I hear a word about keeping him/her over the allotted hours.

And, once I picked the helper up, he/she was with me all day.

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
Use the handrails, or after a few days you'll be icing your knees and ankles. Trust me on this one, toughest part of being a helper for me was trying to recover from the damage I did during the first week.

I had that problem last year with my ankles. Although it took two weeks to set in.