No women-no minorities

rod

Retired 22 years
I attended a retirement party last night for two female friends who finally retired from UPS. One had 37 years and one had 34. Both were part time. They told me that now that they are gone there are NO women or minority hourly employees at the center. I'm guessing there are probably 50 to 60 hourly at that building--all white guys now. They said there was an African American there a month ago but he only worked 3 days and quit. Since 1971 when I started I can only think of maybe 4 minorities who worked there but only one of them (an American Indian) lasted more than a week or two. There just doesn't seen to be a great work incentive among the minorities. Any comments? Before anyone says anything about hiring quotas I will say that the minority crowd don't even apply for the jobs being offered.

We have alot of women in the office,very few drivers. As of lately ,ive seen alot more new,black drivers. But no so much in the past. Seems like more of a mix,in management.

just the observations,from where I am at.

J

jibbs

I attended a retirement party last night for two female friends who finally retired from UPS. One had 37 years and one had 34. Both were part time. They told me that now that they are gone there are NO women or minority hourly employees at the center. I'm guessing there are probably 50 to 60 hourly at that building--all white guys now. They said there was an African American there a month ago but he only worked 3 days and quit. Since 1971 when I started I can only think of maybe 4 minorities who worked there but only one of them (an American Indian) lasted more than a week or two. There just doesn't seen to be a great work incentive among the minorities. Any comments? Before anyone says anything about hiring quotas I will say that the minority crowd don't even apply for the jobs being offered.

Eh... Seems to me there are less whites than non-whites in my center, by a good margin. Random, off-the-top numbers based on my perspective, I'd say preload's about 35% white, 60% black, 5% other. Drivers seem about 45/45 black/white with a 10% mix of asians and hispanics, and that might be giving more weight to the asian/hispanic number than it really deserves in my center.

I've no clue what the other shifts inside the building look like, though.

Women, though? They're the real minority where I work. Probably 10-15 women hourlies altogether.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Female and minority PTers? Out of 200 or so in my building..as far as long time PTers...10 women in small sort...one unload scanner...and me. 2 African American guys in the primary..and one African American loader who's been here maybe a year. All the rest are Caucasian guys. A bunch of females are in management and OMS.
Out of 300+ drivers....2 female drivers, and 4 or 5 African American drivers.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I can only speak for myself when I say that I can work just as hard as any man and have out worked plenty. And no I'm not gay. Considering the hours that UPS drivers work every day, I can understand why there are few to no female applicants. The reality of our world is that in the majority of cases, women are the primary caretakers of children in a family. I'm sure it's hard to work UPS hours and spend the time with your children that you need to. I realize there are some women who are forced to due to being single moms. As far as the minorities, I can't speak for them. Just my two cents.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Eh... Seems to me there are less whites than non-whites in my center, by a good margin. Random, off-the-top numbers based on my perspective, I'd say preload's about 35% white, 60% black, 5% other. Drivers seem about 45/45 black/white with a 10% mix of asians and hispanics, and that might be giving more weight to the asian/hispanic number than it really deserves in my center.

I've no clue what the other shifts inside the building look like, though.

Women, though? They're the real minority where I work. Probably 10-15 women hourlies altogether.
It's mostly related to your geographic area, Jibbs.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I can only speak for myself when I say that I can work just as hard as any man and have out worked plenty. And no I'm not gay. Considering the hours that UPS drivers work every day, I can understand why there are few to no female applicants. The reality of our world is that in the majority of cases, women are the primary caretakers of children in a family. I'm sure it's hard to work UPS hours and spend the time with your children that you need to. I realize there are some women who are forced to due to being single moms. As far as the minorities, I can't speak for them. Just my two cents.
What does being gay or straight have anything to do with it?
As far as why women don't last as PTers or long enough to become drivers at UPS? They can't handle the work and/or don't have a thick enough skin. There's no crying as UPS...if you ever want anyone to take you seriously. I understand the frustration, but cry on your own time. It may sound heartless, but it's how it is. Management loves to prey on the weak.

As Tooner can probably agree.....everytime we get a new boss transferred in....we usually become a primary target. Because most have the "PFFTTT...you're a woman (and not a young one anymore), you can't possibly do this job as well as a man" attitude.
And thus, we have to prove ourselves once AGAIN...to some center manager , OC or DM that hasn' t even worked for the company as long as we have.

Last edited:

Kis124

Our unload/small sort is primarily women and a good mix of ethnicity. There are a few women who load...I'm also seeing an increase in women drivers..package cars and feeders. I'm one of the older ones, pushing 50 and can and have outwork some of these 20 something men they are hiring. And yes I'm a female

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our unload/small sort is primarily women and a good mix of ethnicity. There are a few women who load...I'm also seeing an increase in women drivers..package cars and feeders. I'm one of the older ones, pushing 50 and can and have outwork some of these 20 something men they are hiring. And yes I'm a female
Yup...I get the heavy bulky routes dumped on me from the guy loaders half my age who can't get it done. That crap gets really old after awhile...lol.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I was the first female driver in my building 25 years ago. Now there are three, two in package and myself in feeder.
As far as ethnicity there is one black male driver.

I agree with the post above in that it depends on where you live. I have to think hard of even one Black family anywhere near where I live. One is more apt to find Native Americans and Whites but that's always how it's been in MN as far as I can remember.

Indecisi0n

What does being gay or straight have anything to do with it?
As far as why women don't last as PTers or long enough to become drivers at UPS? They can't handle the work and/or don't have a thick enough skin. There's no crying as UPS...if you ever want anyone to take you seriously. I understand the frustration, but cry on your own time. It may sound heartless, but it's how it is. Management loves to prey on the weak.

As Tooner can probably agree.....everytime we get a new boss transferred in....we usually become a primary target. Because most have the "PFFTTT...you're a woman (and not a young one anymore), you can't possibly do this job as well as a man" attitude.
And thus, we have to prove ourselves once AGAIN...to some center manager , OC or DM that hasn' t even worked for the company as long as we have.
Gay people do a more fabulous job.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Because in all my years, I've noticed and other people have commented on how on average, gay women tend to work a lot harder than the average woman. And they don't play the helpless female role either. They just get the job done.

I have always worked hard, at UPS as well as outside it.
I have never played the "girl" card.
I always get the job done.
As far as I know I'm straight.

Then again I haven't had a boyfriend is some time..............hmm, you free next weekend?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Because in all my years, I've noticed and other people have commented on how on average, gay women tend to work a lot harder than the average woman. And they don't play the helpless female role either. They just get the job done.
There are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking....at ups, if you're a female and you can't get the job done, you don't get to stay...gay or straight. You will never even get to make book.
Except for the selective few that work on their knees, but that tends to be chicks in manangement, at least in my building. Incidentally, I'm not gay and I don't have a helpless female card.....where does one buy those? lol

Last edited:

Nike

all is see is brown when i clock in
but seriously we are a very diverse center where Im at
at least racially, very few women, only two female drivers currently
I tip my hat to any woman that can successfully drive a UPS truck for 8+ hours