Orion tested today.

Tough Guy

They used 3 routes on my metro for Orion today, Which is the first we've seen so far of it in the building.

They had people there trying to look in the trucks, ( not managers per se, but rather people who appeared to be auditors, or in charge of the roll out.) and 3 people in browns to ride along with the drivers. The one truck however, was completely blown out down the middle, due to overweights, bulk, etc.

The one woman looked really unhappy when she couldn't get into the truck to snoop around and check things out. They tried telling the loader he should've taken them " around the front". If they were referring to the oversize packages, that would be an impossibility on account if how tightly those trucks are parked together. So nobody really understood what she meant.

Anyway, for those who've dealt with Orion already, what is their response for when a truck is blown out like that? ( that is, the shelves being inaccessible until the irregs or what not are cleared).

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah, it's not your problem. If they ask you to do something ridiculous, do it so they can see how ridiculous it is. Tell them you'll have to either not follow orion until the bulk is off or you'll have to unload half the truck onto the street at every stop to work safely. If you have your orion ride, make it known you are working by the methods and won't be turning around in residential driveways and you won't be making end range motions. It will be a long quiet day.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah, it's not your problem. If they ask you to do something ridiculous, do it so they can see how ridiculous it is. Tell them you'll have to either not follow orion until the bulk is off or you'll have to unload half the truck onto the street at every stop to work safely. If you have your orion ride, make it known you are working by the methods and won't be turning around in residential driveways and you won't be making end range motions. It will be a long quiet day.

Especially this.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

The new method is turning around. Not backing is out the window. My ORION training sup told me this.

blackcircle

They make no allowance for left building time or the truck being blown out. I leave the building 15-20 minutes after start time and Orion will want me to do 25ish stops by 10:30 with a leave building time of 8:42 with a start time of 8:40. That usually includes breaking off to do resi when all the air stops are commercial, all in a blown out 1000. This is all on a bulk industrial route that runs 13-15 SPORH until you hit the residential stops.

I skip anything I can't reach. My favorite thing it does is skipping the ground with an air stop to do the business down the street's ground. Don't have your RDL/RDC/RDR off? Yeah, do that FL4 bulk stop instead. The only day I've been able to run all the Orion mileage saving crap was on a day my truck was in for service and they gave me a 1200 which is extra great for those Orion necessary backs into driveways.

They used 3 routes on my metro for Orion today, Which is the first we've seen so far of it in the building.

They had people there trying to look in the trucks, ( not managers per se, but rather people who appeared to be auditors, or in charge of the roll out.) and 3 people in browns to ride along with the drivers. The one truck however, was completely blown out down the middle, due to overweights, bulk, etc.

The one woman looked really unhappy when she couldn't get into the truck to snoop around and check things out. They tried telling the loader he should've taken them " around the front". If they were referring to the oversize packages, that would be an impossibility on account if how tightly those trucks are parked together. So nobody really understood what she meant.

Anyway, for those who've dealt with Orion already, what is their response for when a truck is blown out like that? ( that is, the shelves being inaccessible until the irregs or what not are cleared).
What up tough guy?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
If and WHEN they tell you to turn around in the middle of the street you tell them to shove it or hand them the keys. They all told every driver in my center to do it and actually got a few to do it. You are responsible for that truck. Do you think for 1 second that if you have an accident with the Orion guy in the truck it'll go on his record and not yours?!?!

The Orion guys do NOT override your center manager's safety directives. If there is a conflict while on the ride stop right there and call your center manager!

BrownTexas

If and WHEN they tell you to turn around in the middle of the street you tell them to shove it or hand them the keys. They all told every driver in my center to do it and actually got a few to do it. You are responsible for that truck. Do you think for 1 second that if you have an accident with the Orion guy in the truck it'll go on his record and not yours?!?!

The Orion guys do NOT override your center manager's safety directives. If there is a conflict while on the ride stop right there and call your center manager!
Took the words out of my mouth. That accident is on you. Not them.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I do not like Orion.
I would like a walkway, then I could jump to all the shelves.
I have always wished for that, then I could work faster.
But with Orion, I have even more work so I guess I am not getting my wish.
Im disgruntled. Im defeated, and I dont give a smile *anymore. Orion, Uranus, Pluto, IDC.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The new method is turning around. Not backing is out the window. My ORION training sup told me this.
I had the Supe threaten me with a Warning Letter if I didnt "work as directed" and back into driveways. I refused to do so and filed a grievance for Harassment and low and behold I have never ever heard anything else about "Necessary Backing"

Stand up for yourself,do the job safely and by the methods and dont think for one moment any Management person on the car is on your side,wants to help you,or gives a rats arse about you. It aint rocket science

tourists24

I had the Supe threaten me with a Warning Letter if I didnt "work as directed" and back into driveways. I refused to do so and filed a grievance for Harassment and low and behold I have never ever heard anything else about "Necessary Backing"

Stand up for yourself,do the job safely and by the methods and dont think for one moment any Management person on the car is on your side,wants to help you,or gives a rats arse about you. It aint rocket science
seems like the "local" supervisor directions don't override the safety methods still coming down from higher up.... lol..... always remember... Safety first,,, Service second,,, ORION third

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What I was told, current management is not up to date on backing. Once ORION is fully implemented, the savings will dictate that we back, back, and back again. You will work as directed, you just don't know it yet. A bunch of small feet of less driving add up to many less miles.

Is this smart? Maybe not, but that's how it will be. Sooner or later, management will be getting daily reports on mileage. "Back first" will fade away...