Saturday Ground

crashnburn256

So they are rolling this out and starting to test it at my building(portland, ore). They say they aren't going to start a tues-sat shift but instead are going to use volunteers. They said they were going to start on sep 6th but they took the list down so it might be a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of this? Oh, and its ground delivery on a weekend so its top-rate for everyone plus overtime since its a 6th shift. I'm definitely signing up when they put the list back up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So they are rolling this out and starting to test it at my building(portland, ore). They say they aren't going to start a tues-sat shift but instead are going to use volunteers. They said they were going to start on sep 6th but they took the list down so it might be a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of this? Oh, and its ground delivery on a weekend so its top-rate for everyone plus overtime since its a 6th shift. I'm definitely signing up when they put the list back up.
Sign me up, I'll work for premium pay up to my 60. I'm gonna bounce this place even sooner the way they pass OT out.

PT Car Washer

How many drivers are they going to use? Is this on top of normal Saturday Air volume or will the drivers deliver both? Bringing in extra support (unloaders, preloaders, scanners)?

9.5er

Ummmm, No. I took this job knowing I was going to have to bust my ass Mon. thru Fri. No way I'm volunteering for more punishment. They will have to force me to work on Sat.

crashnburn256

How many drivers are they going to use? Is this on top of normal Saturday Air volume or will the drivers deliver both? Bringing in extra support (unloaders, preloaders, scanners)?

Good question I was wondering the same thing. I'm pretty sure that air drivers can't sign up I think that you are going to be sent out with only ground volume or only air volume if you are an air driver.

I have no idea how the preload is going to work.

I'll keep you guys posted when they actually start this. They also said they are already testing it somewhere else wisconsin I think they said.

PT Car Washer

Keep us posted on how this develops. Air Drivers can deliver ground but have to be paid top driver rate plus OT. Would not make much sense to have two drivers delivering an Air package and a ground package to the same address or across the street from each other.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Just to give you guys some ideas about how lucrative this could be.

Say you work 45 Saturdays out of 52. Of those Saturdays you work a minimum of 4 hours (taking into account you worked 50ish M-friend) at 50.56/hr. By the end of the year you'd make 9100.00 more just from Saturdays. Say you've been here for 15years and plan on doing 30 and out. Doing 15 more years at 9100.00 an extra a year (no yearly raises calculated into this), you'd have $136,512.00. That would equal roughly two years of what someone who takes a few no pays every so often makes.

Now imagine you're ready to leave and took that 4hrs on Sat the whole time and dumped just that into a 401k for 15 years and earned 10% a year off it average. It would come out to be $318,042.54 over the 15 years. Now lets say your 55 at the time and can't pull from it till 60 and you're just living off your pension, the total at age 60 would be $512,210.69.

All that from 4hrs extra OT a week Saturday morning for 15 years working.

Indecisi0n

Just to give you guys some ideas about how lucrative this could be.

Say you work 45 Saturdays out of 52. Of those Saturdays you work a minimum of 4 hours (taking into account you worked 50ish M-friend) at 50.56/hr. By the end of the year you'd make 9100.00 more just from Saturdays. Say you've been here for 15years and plan on doing 30 and out. Doing 15 more years at 9100.00 an extra a year (no yearly raises calculated into this), you'd have $136,512.00. That would equal roughly two years of what someone who takes a few no pays every so often makes.

Now imagine you're ready to leave and took that 4hrs on Sat the whole time and dumped just that into a 401k for 15 years and earned 10% a year off it average. It would come out to be $318,042.54 over the 15 years. Now lets say your 55 at the time and can't pull from it till 60 and you're just living off your pension, the total at age 60 would be $512,210.69.

All that from 4hrs extra OT a week Saturday morning for 15 years working.
Oh in that case, pass.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Oh in that case, pass.
You could also apply this to just putting away 200.00 bucks a week for 45 out of 52 weeks in your 401k if that gives you any more motivation. I don't know about you but I don't wanna spend any more time here then I have to, and if I do I want it to count.

Edi :You can also relate it to someone who skips their lunch 4 days a week and puts it in their board.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Ill think about ya when im sleeping in like a sumbitch on Saturday:sleeping2: lol

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I would prefer a Tuesday-Saturday schedule. At least that way when all of you are working on Mondays, I can go to the DMV or get some fishing and poker time without the crowds.

overflowed

Keep us posted on how this develops. Air Drivers can deliver ground but have to be paid top driver rate plus OT. Would not make much sense to have two drivers delivering an Air package and a ground package to the same address or across the street from each other.
Why not? Fedex thinks it makes perfect sense.

Indecisi0n

You could also apply this to just putting away 200.00 bucks a week for 45 out of 52 weeks in your 401k if that gives you any more motivation. I don't know about you but I don't wanna spend any more time here then I have to, and if I do I want it to count.

Edi :You can also relate it to someone who skips their lunch 4 days a week and puts it in their board.
When I retire I'll have my 401k, pension and SS. On top of that I do like you said and put a little each week (auto deduct) into a separate savings account. It's emergency/retirement money. The day I can retire I am out of here.