Son got his orders (Navy).

Ouch

Please keep my son Zach in your prayers. He is in the Navy and just got orders to the middle east. I'm a freaking mess. Never been away from my son for any real length of time, not to mention with all the problems going on over there. I'm a little freaked out. He is excited about going but me not so much. He will be gone for 2 years. He will be in Bahrain patrolling shipping channels and port from what he was told. Thanks everyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was stationed overseas in 1983 we were allowed one free 5 minute phone call home (Autovon) per month. I was newly married (two weeks) when I flew out. There were no cell phones or Internet back then---our phone bill was over $3K for the year I was gone.

Check with your cell phone carrier for the best (and cheapest) way to plan ahead and pay for his bill while he is gone.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I was stationed overseas in 1983 we were allowed one free 5 minute phone call home (Autovon) per month. I was newly married (two weeks) when I flew out. There were no cell phones or Internet back then---our phone bill was over $3K for the year I was gone.

Check with your cell phone carrier for the best (and cheapest) way to plan ahead and pay for his bill while he is gone.

Skype or wifi phone is probably the best option.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
A very close friend who is a Navy Corpsman attached to a USMC unit did a tour on the ground in Afghanistan maybe 2 or 3 years ago. He said it was the most boring time of his life.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Overpaid Union Thug

Please keep my son Zach in your prayers. He is in the Navy and just got orders to the middle east. I'm a freaking mess. Never been away from my son for any real length of time, not to mention with all the problems going on over there. I'm a little freaked out. He is excited about going but me not so much. He will be gone for 2 years. He will be in Bahrain patrolling shipping channels and port from what he was told. Thanks everyone.

He'll be alright. Minus the SEALS and a handful of other jobs in the Navy being on a ship is the safest place to be over there. The Allah Akbars are crazy but not typically crazy enough to attack a US Naval vessel that's armed to the teeth. Boredom and homesickness will be his greatest obstacle. Try not to worry too much. :D

Sent using BrownCafe App

bl04a

God bless you and your son. I understand your worries and fears. My son is in his 9th week of boot camp for the Marines at Parris Island, SC. I worry constantly about where he will be sent when basic training is done. I hear about everything that is happening in the Middle East and it makes me a nervous wreck. Hang in there, I'm sure your son will be fine and thank him for his service to us from me.

Sent using BrownCafe App

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son was also in the navy, and he went to the middle east as well. He had a blast. The hardest thing he had to get used to was the culture differences. My son was the designated fisherman on his ship...The captain bought a bunch of big rods and reels for the crew. Whenever they ran into a big school of tuna, they would wake up my son and break out the rods..Fishing off the fantail. The whole crew would have grilled tuna. They have email available. We would send care packages about once a month. If Zach smokes or dips, that is appreciated. Beef jerky is popular. It takes 3-4 weeks to get packages to the ship, so nothing perishable. Son said he went into Bahrain 8 times. Got any questions, drop me a line. rob.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
God bless you and your son. I understand your worries and fears. My son is in his 9th week of boot camp for the Marines at Parris Island, SC. I worry constantly about where he will be sent when basic training is done. I hear about everything that is happening in the Middle East and it makes me a nervous wreck. Hang in there, I'm sure your son will be fine and thank him for his service to us from me.

Sent using BrownCafe App
My brother joined the Marine Corps in 1999. He was a DI at Parris Island up until 18 months ago...then took a transfer. Most new Marines are sent to Camp Lejeune in NC....or 29 Palms out in CA after basic training. I remember how proud my dad was when we went down there for my brother's graduation from boot camp. Best of luck to your son.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kee
My son was also in the navy, and he went to the middle east as well. He had a blast. The hardest thing he had to get used to was the culture differences. My son was the designated fisherman on his ship...The captain bought a bunch of big rods and reels for the crew. Whenever they ran into a big school of tuna, they would wake up my son and break out the rods..Fishing off the fantail. The whole crew would have grilled tuna. They have email available. We would send care packages about once a month. If Zach smokes or dips, that is appreciated. Beef jerky is popular. It takes 3-4 weeks to get packages to the ship, so nothing perishable. Son said he went into Bahrain 8 times. Got any questions, drop me a line. rob.

Keep in mind that the PO is your only option to APO/FPO.