Dear sweet Hey Zeus...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
First day as a driver is in the bag. Man I'm beat...but no worse than when I double shift. I'm really glad I already know how to use the board, but there's a few neat tricks I learned on it today too. Tomorrow...time to get lost doing resi's!!! I'll be ok actually...lol...there's a few streets though that are in the tooly sticks.

sortaisle

Cover. But there's a mass exodus coming soon. 14 drivers all ready to retire in 2 year period...and then another 10 the next two year period. I won't be cover forever.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I've been cover for years - can't imagine being on the same route everyday!

I once thought this way. Then I got my own route and got bumped a year later. Now cover sucks. Nothing quite like knowing exactly where every address is. Suddenly night time delivery isn't so bad and slow.

Buck Fifty

First day as a driver is in the bag. Man I'm beat...but no worse than when I double shift. I'm really glad I already know how to use the board, but there's a few neat tricks I learned on it today too. Tomorrow...time to get lost doing resi's!!! I'll be ok actually...lol...there's a few streets though that are in the tooly sticks.

Nothing like that new driver enthusiasm, but that will wear off soon enough. Welcome to the Club my brother.

S

serenity now

a reply to you from another thread just yesterday: you'll be tired soon enough.........
:happy:

sortaisle

Oh there's not much in the way of enthusiasm...just trying to stay as positive as possible. I'm more worried about delivery points. Some of these businesses have separate delivery and pickup points. And the first half of the resi's are a unknown to me. I know where to go just not where the streets actually are. I'll find them eventually. Being lost the first week IS going to suck...I know I'm going to make some mistakes. I know it's ok. I just want them minimized so I don't have to get help. Gotta succeed.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Once your cover, you will always be considered cover. You could go full time, but time and time again, someone will call out and you wil have to cover it while another cover, covers your route. I see it all the time here. They bump one guy over there because of a call out, just to send him elsewhere last moment notice.

Covers get paid better in time, spans of years. So, your management team will make you go on many routes for years to come, perhaps even most of your driving career. Some you find amazing, simple and maybe even fun! While others will take everything you have to make it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The best thing about cover was the days off. Now, I want to work everyday for the $$$

The 2nd best thing about cover was you knew what areas and routes you'd like when it's bid time !!! ;)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Once your cover, you will always be considered cover. You could go full time, but time and time again, someone will call out and you wil have to cover it while another cover, covers your route. I see it all the time here. They bump one guy over there because of a call out, just to send him elsewhere last moment notice.

Covers get paid better in time, spans of years. So, your management team will make you go on many routes for years to come, perhaps even most of your driving career. Some you find amazing, simple and maybe even fun! While others will take everything you have to make it.

Or bid on the first route that becomes available.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Some in this thread have referred to going full time after you're a cover driver. Don't forget lots of places have regular full time cover drivers who are not casuals but regular full time drivers (me). We have about 150 full time drivers in my building and most drivers have to wait about 8-9 years here of driving cover full time to get their own route.

sortaisle

I'm a fulltime regular, just a cover driver. I'll get paid top driver wage in 3 years (hopefully!!! Gotta get in before this new contract...I have 2 months to make 30 days!!!) Tired as hell, tomorrow is going to be super challenging...no help from the on car. I get the feeling I'm going to have a romance with the gps on my phone...lol...at least for the resi's.