Diad cradle/mount

Ghost in the Darkness

These things are so well made... just got a new one and it dislodged multiple times the first day and everyday since. The afternoon part of my route has a lot of rough roads and driveways. Just counting the days until the pins get wet or seize up from dirt and grit.

Steamer

These things are so well made... just got a new one and it dislodged multiple times the first day and everyday since. The afternoon part of my route has a lot of rough roads and driveways. Just counting the days until the pins get wet or seize up from dirt and grit.
I carry a small can of WD40 and spray the pins if they do that. Just one small spray. The mechanics said that they do the same. It works great. Cleans the pins and loosens them up for a month. I also carry a bungie cord just in case that doesn't work from people slamming the DIADs in the holders. They don't need slammed to bend the bottom contacts or the pins even. They just need set in there. People never think though. So they slam them 100 times to get them to work. Then it wears them out and they never work.

The small blue Walmart bungie cord attaches to anything with the perfect stretch. You just loop it half over the front of the holder and half over the back. Slip it over the diad if it starts to jump out. Takes an entire extra second to slide it over the top and back off. I sure hope SUPs don't write me up for the extra second of lost time... :-) The WD40 works great for the door hooks and such to slide better as well. Making the days much easier for $3 a year.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

I carry a small can of WD40 and spray the pins if they do that. Just one small spray. The mechanics said that they do the same. It works great. Cleans the pins and loosens them up for a month. I also carry a bungie cord just in case that doesn't work from people slamming the DIADs in the holders. They don't need slammed to bend the bottom contacts or the pins even. They just need set in there. People never think though. So they slam them 100 times to get them to work. Then it wears them out and they never work.

The small blue Walmart bungie cord attaches to anything with the perfect stretch. You just loop it half over the front of the holder and half over the back. Slip it over the diad if it starts to jump out. Takes an entire extra second to slide it over the top and back off. I sure hope SUPs don't write me up for the extra second of lost time... :-) The WD40 works great for the door hooks and such to slide better as well. Making the days much easier for $3 a year.
I’ve had mine for six months and it works just as well as it did the first day. I gently push down on it from the top until it clicks into position. Only idiots slam them down. The runners can’t find the time to do it right.

My route is the dirtiest and on some of the roughest terrain we have. But the cradle is still secure like it was after our mechanic installed it. I think many of the mechanics in the centers are installing them wrong.

I clean it out with wipes every day and have the mechanic apply some special goo to then pins every once in a while. He told me that using water and other cleaning agents corrodes them.

I don’t know what the big deal about these cradles are to make so many drivers so resistant to them. They are awesome. All we have to do now is stop complete, look at the next two stops, put DIAD in cradle, go where it says. Repeat. So simple.

Hot Carl

When they first put the cradle in my truck, they never wired it up so it didn’t do anything. Once they did, it would stay on even with the engine off. Then it wouldn’t hold the DIAD in place, so it would bounce out and cut the navigation. I bent the hell out of the back part to keep it locked in and that worked for about a month. Now it’s just like almost all the other cradles in our center thanks to runner gunner Saturday and swing drivers. Busted pins at the bottom from guys slamming the DIAD in all day. It’ll charge, but won’t navigate.

I understand not liking it if you’ve had the same route for 10+ years, but when you’re on a route blind or have a split that you don’t know, it makes the job so much easier.

Overpaid Union Thug

When they first put the cradle in my truck, they never wired it up so it didn’t do anything. Once they did, it would stay on even with the engine off. Then it wouldn’t hold the DIAD in place, so it would bounce out and cut the navigation. I bent the hell out of the back part to keep it locked in and that worked for about a month. Now it’s just like almost all the other cradles in our center thanks to runner gunner Saturday and swing drivers. Busted pins at the bottom from guys slamming the DIAD in all day. It’ll charge, but won’t navigate.

I understand not liking it if you’ve had the same route for 10+ years, but when you’re on a route blind or have a split that you don’t know, it makes the job so much easier.

Sounds like your mechanics suck at installing cradles.

barnyard

KTM rider
For those that hate using the cradle, this is a tutorial in how to make it so you do not have to use it. I use mine until the board crashes for the 2nd time of the day. Usually, that is within 2 hours of starting.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Out of the 38 trucks in my fleet there is 5 or so that seem to constantly break the cradle. Some of the workhorse trucks I had issues with the cradle discharging the diad and I had to rewire to a different powersource.

Other than that the pins bend and get corroded.

rustys954rr

Out of the 38 trucks in my fleet there is 5 or so that seem to constantly break the cradle. Some of the workhorse trucks I had issues with the cradle discharging the diad and I had to rewire to a different powersource.

Other than that the pins bend and get corroded.
My current cradle is powering the blower fan for a couple of seconds or until I take it out of the holder. It's mildly entertaining.