Fired for blackface on your own time

onewithedd

I don’t remember this being called racist, hmmm.

Attachments

• CC77CF76-73BF-4753-A88C-398DB3F087EE.jpeg
    CC77CF76-73BF-4753-A88C-398DB3F087EE.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 149

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It is OK if it is a black person doing white face, but all hell breaks loose if it is a white person doing black face.

Can you say double standards?

I’m a white guy. I’m not offended by the costume; I think it’s kinda funny. Despite my morbid sense of humor, I recognize that it’s incredibily distasteful and designed to offend. She didn’t wear the costume to a private party amongst her closest friends... she wore it into the workplace, in front of her black coworkers who were understandably upset and took to social media to vent. If you still don’t get it, I’m not going to sugar coat it — you’re an idiot.

Oh, and “hostile work environment” is a term UPS and the Teamstets like to throw around. When I started as a Preloader nearly 19 years ago, I worked in an all white, small, suburban facility. One peak season UPS hired a black guy and he became subjected to racist jokes - monkey nosies, Ebonics, fried chicken jokes, questions about his junk, etc. NONE of these guys were racist... just ignorant. But understandably, the black dude wasn’t comfortable coming into work anymore = hostile work environment. Surprisingly, he did not sue or anything like that, but UPS responded by closing our small center down. Switching to one of the largest Preloads in the country was anything but fun...

MAKAVELI

I’m a white guy. I’m not offended by the costume; I think it’s kinda funny. Despite my morbid sense of humor, I recognize that it’s incredibily distasteful and designed to offend. She didn’t wear the costume to a private party amongst her closest friends... she wore it into the workplace, in front of her black coworkers who were understandably upset and took to social media to vent. If you still don’t get it, I’m not going to sugar coat it — you’re an idiot.

Oh, and “hostile work environment” is a term UPS and the Teamstets like to throw around. When I started as a Preloader nearly 19 years ago, I worked in an all white, small, suburban facility. One peak season UPS hired a black guy and he became subjected to racist jokes - monkey nosies, Ebonics, fried chicken jokes, questions about his junk, etc. NONE of these guys were racist... just ignorant. But understandably, the black dude wasn’t comfortable coming into work anymore = hostile work environment. Surprisingly, he did not sue or anything like that, but UPS responded by closing our small center down. Switching to one of the largest Preloads in the country was anything but fun...
" Not racist ". Lmfao!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
It is OK if it is a black person doing white face, but all hell breaks loose if it is a white person doing black face.

Can you say double standards?

We just don't yell and scream when a black guy does white face.

Eddie Murphy

Where there's a double standard, there's a hidden agenda.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
One peak season UPS hired a black guy and he became subjected to racist jokes - monkey nosies, Ebonics, fried chicken jokes, questions about his junk, etc.

This can be classified as a hostile work environment.

She didn’t wear the costume to a private party amongst her closest friends... she wore it into the workplace

Not a hostile work environment, under Ohio law.

Indirect Harassment? Maybe

Fireable offense for harassment? Possibly.

And no, I do not condone what she did. But a one time stupid mistake, notwithstanding serious offenses, should not, and in this case, will not, cost an employee her job.

Read Ohio's law on Hostile Work Environment.

UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES A HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Hostile work environments in Ohio exist in many forms. Each hostile work environment, however, shares at least three characteristics:

• One or more employee is discriminated against or harassed because of his or her sex, age, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or disability;
  • The mistreatment is severe and persistent; and
  • The discrimination or harassment makes it difficult or impossible for the targeted individual to do his or her work or stay on the job at all. This is often called “severe and pervasive.”
If you regularly receive insults, get denied promotions and training opportunities, get assigned to the most dangerous or hazardous tasks, or get propositioned for sexual favors, then you may be working in a hostile environment. Be aware, however, that courts generally do not consider either a single off-color or bigoted comment or a one-time request for a date evidence of hostility unless what happened was so egregious that it inflicted an injury or showed real intent to cause harm.

you’re an idiot

You're misinformed, or ignorant, or both.

El Correcto

god is dead
I don’t find it worthwhile being on the frontlines of breaking society’s view of blackface as outrageous.

Seriously, Halloween is a time honored tradition of getting :censored2: faced and doing the monster mash with Alice from Wonderland. Quit ruining it with your bold political statements.