Fired for blackface on your own time

Indecisi0n

blackface_3910.jpg

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Where there's a double standard, there's a hidden agenda.
Time to go full "stupid liberal overexplains everything" mode, those people are the worst.

In Japan, this could be considered a double standard, since both whiteface (ethnically european) and blackface are common tropes used by the Japanese which could alienate people who would be considered not part of the Japanese homogeneity.

However in the U.S. Our cultural and historical upbringing means blackface can be much, much more offensive than whiteface. I am not going to baby you on the details.

F

Frankie's Friend

This can be classified as a hostile work environment.

Not a hostile work environment, under Ohio law.

Indirect Harassment? Maybe

Fireable offense for harassment? Possibly.

And no, I do not condone what she did. But a one time stupid mistake, notwithstanding serious offenses, should not, and in this case, will not, cost an employee her job.

Read Ohio's law on Hostile Work Environment.

UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES A HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT

Hostile work environments in Ohio exist in many forms. Each hostile work environment, however, shares at least three characteristics:

• One or more employee is discriminated against or harassed because of his or her sex, age, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, or disability;
  • The mistreatment is severe and persistent; and
  • The discrimination or harassment makes it difficult or impossible for the targeted individual to do his or her work or stay on the job at all. This is often called “severe and pervasive.”
If you regularly receive insults, get denied promotions and training opportunities, get assigned to the most dangerous or hazardous tasks, or get propositioned for sexual favors, then you may be working in a hostile environment. Be aware, however, that courts generally do not consider either a single off-color or bigoted comment or a one-time request for a date evidence of hostility unless what happened was so egregious that it inflicted an injury or showed real intent to cause harm.

You're misinformed, or ignorant, or both.
The company wouldn't stand for racial harassment for sure.
Btw, what happened south of there in Lexington? Hmmm.

I was told it was a dress up "Halloween" day in that building supported by supes.
Any truth to that?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The company wouldn't stand for racial harassment for sure.

I agreed that it may constitute indirect harassment, did not confront any employee directly, but definitely not a hostile work environment, on Halloween dress up day.

Btw, what happened south of there in Lexington? Hmmm.

That I could see possibly being a hostile work environment.

I mean, a dummy that appeared to be a black driver hanging from a noose around it's neck?

What the hell were they thinking?

I was told it was a dress up "Halloween" day in that building supported by supes.
Any truth to that?

Fully sanctioned, although not an excuse for the "costume" she chose.

F

Frankie's Friend

I agreed that it may constitute indirect harassment, did not confront any employee directly, but definitely not a hostile work environment, on Halloween dress up day.

That I could see possibly being a hostile work environment.

I mean, a dummy that appeared to be a black driver hanging from a noose around it's neck?

What the hell were they thinking?

Fully sanctioned, although not an excuse for the "costume" she chose.
I wonder how long the employee worked their shift that day before they were sent home.?

In Lexington, according to the lawsuit posted on the internet, it wasn't just the effigy issue but also what happened after the protest arose from employees who were offended by it.