Ground contractor or eat broken glass

bacha29

Has FDX changed it's position on types of ownership? Initially they would only recognize S-corps. No partnerships, C-Corps or LLC's? Or has it loosened up in order to slow the contractor capitulation?
Typical Mormon country. Women do all the work but have no rights or ownership interest.
Exactly like we said. FDX won't pay for additional trucks and manpower to run Express. If you've got time commits you better hope that you're area is very dense and highly concentrated and you can double back and have somebody nearby you can off load to.
My God...what a mess.

zeev

Has FDX changed it's position on types of ownership? Initially they would only recognize S-corps. No partnerships, C-Corps or LLC's? Or has it loosened up in order to slow the contractor capitulation?
Typical Mormon country. Women do all the work but have no rights or ownership interest.
Exactly like we said. FDX won't pay for additional trucks and manpower to run Express. If you've got time commits you better hope that you're area is very dense and highly concentrated and you can double back and have somebody nearby you can off load to.
My God...what a mess.
Mormons little to smart to buy a 1 year contract and a bunch of old trucks. He is a typical contractor former driver thinks because he can deliver packages he can be “his own boss”. What’s important do the numbers add up, my advice invest in storage units or a self service car wash

bacha29

Mormons little to smart to buy a 1 year contract and a bunch of old trucks. He is a typical contractor former driver thinks because he can deliver packages he can be “his own boss”. What’s important do the numbers add up, my advice invest in storage units or a self service car wash

Sounds to me like a guy who was flipping his drivers 1099's then calling them "partners". And how about that. You're hauling Fat Freddy's air box for free. The classic old Fat Freddy line.....'Well, you're going right past it"! The result for the slab in the cab....Longer day...same pay. The interviewers are getting their eyes open and this "be your own boss" contractor is clearly going below the Mendoza Line.
This is a classic. Give you something here take it away someplace else. Same as always.
Another "deer in the headlights" new contractor.

It will be fine

Sounds to me like a guy who was flipping his drivers 1099's then calling them "partners". And how about that. You're hauling Fat Freddy's air box for free. The classic old Fat Freddy line.....'Well, you're going right past it"! The result for the slab in the cab....Longer day...same pay. The interviewers are getting their eyes open and this "be your own boss" contractor is clearly going below the Mendoza Line.
This is a classic. Give you something here take it away someplace else. Same as always.
Another "deer in the headlights" new contractor.
Why bother posting about the podcast if you didn’t even listen to it?

SmithBarney

Oh how funny, I worked in Logan... and one of the former crrs there is currently a "STAR" Courier traveling around the country... LGUA was one of the first stations to close but he's said that the Fedex service in LOGAN is a disaster. 3 different Trucks going to the same neighborhoods, late packages,drivers not caring. They changed many Express commit times to later, customers are ticked and switching to UPS because they offer earlier service.

FYI, Mormon wife, they all look like that in logan, the hair highlights and all...

"my guys were out there 8,9,10 hrs and wanted to quit...." expect much more of that.

SmithBarney

HOLY S Around 26:00 Min mark, if they miss express commits under 98.5% on time they loose all revenue for express the whole week, which only accounts for $2/stop regardless of # of packages for a stop.

bacha29

HOLY S Around 26:00 Min mark, if they miss express commits under 98.5% on time they loose all revenue for express the whole week, which only accounts for $2/stop regardless of # of packages for a stop.
What has happened to this unsuspecting people is exactly what we predicted months earlier.
1. Drivers won't wait for the air box to arrive resulting in a longer day for the same pay .
2. Having to wait means their operating range is reduced requiring additional truck deployments to cover non serviced area.
3. Plainly stated that FDX won't pay for an Express only truck to wait for the air box to run over the same area later in the day.
4. Contractor had to sell area just to raise cash to keep going and the guy he sold to promptly quit.
5. Contractor was told by FDX that the only money he was going to make was by driving a route everyday himself and getting out
getting out of the cab was precisely the reason he bought a contract.
6. This couple described in clear detail everything we said would happen including admitting the fact that all power rests with FDX.

And the joke was clearly on the sponsor of this video a truck dealer who thought the rosy picture presented by this couple would result in more truck sales to haul express. Instead they got their hat handed to them.

It will be fine

What has happened to this unsuspecting people is exactly what we predicted months earlier.
1. Drivers won't wait for the air box to arrive resulting in a longer day for the same pay .
2. Having to wait means their operating range is reduced requiring additional truck deployments to cover non serviced area.
3. Plainly stated that FDX won't pay for an Express only truck to wait for the air box to run over the same area later in the day.
4. Contractor had to sell area just to raise cash to keep going and the guy he sold to promptly quit.
5. Contractor was told by FDX that the only money he was going to make was by driving a route everyday himself and getting out
getting out of the cab was precisely the reason he bought a contract.
6. This couple described in clear detail everything we said would happen including admitting the fact that all power rests with FDX.

And the joke was clearly on the sponsor of this video a truck dealer who thought the rosy picture presented by this couple would result in more truck sales to haul express. Instead they got their hat handed to them.
You just hear what you want to hear to confirm your prior beliefs.

bacha29

You just hear what you want to hear to confirm your prior beliefs.
You obviously find the disclosures made by this couple embarrassing. This couple was simply telling it the way it is and it is something every contributor to this site has known for a very long time.
For a period of time while it was never in balance it was a deal that by and large a person could live with but in recent years and by your own admission it has become a relationship nothing short of pure servitude.

zeev

Evolution of Ground contractor, starts out driver becomes contractor goes broke works for another contractor as a driver a common scenario in my area.

Artee

I couldn't watch the whole video because it was so cringe. The first few minutes I got through, and maybe I am mistaken, the couple mentioned they are taking on partners. Sounds like they are recruiting partners that are their drivers. Because he pays them so poorly, they don't have any money saved and he will finance their end of the deal. The partnership is originally structured 51/49 % in favor of the couple. Which mean that this new partner has no final say in how operations are run at least in the beginning. Who knows if ever he will give them a majority ownership in the "company" they bought into.

Partnerships are for people that don't have the funds to do their own deal and the ones where you are the minority partner, you are just asking to be taken advantage of. Who buys into a partnership with no say or control on how things are going to be run. You are not a partner. This couple has found some suckers to help keep their dream of being business owners alive a least for another year.

bacha29

I couldn't watch the whole video because it was so cringe. The first few minutes I got through, and maybe I am mistaken, the couple mentioned they are taking on partners. Sounds like they are recruiting partners that are their drivers. Because he pays them so poorly, they don't have any money saved and he will finance their end of the deal. The partnership is originally structured 51/49 % in favor of the couple. Which mean that this new partner has no final say in how operations are run at least in the beginning. Who knows if ever he will give them a majority ownership in the "company" they bought into.

Partnerships are for people that don't have the funds to do their own deal and the ones where you are the minority partner, you are just asking to be taken advantage of. Who buys into a partnership with no say or control on how things are going to be run. You are not a partner. This couple has found some suckers to help keep their dream of being business owners alive a least for another year.
Sounds like this contractor is trying to find a way around FICA taxes and FDX's clearly stated rule is that workers under the control of the contractor must be treated as employees for among other reasons tax purposes. As soon as they call in his financial records they'll see that he's trying to avoid employer taxes and he'll be gone.