How Are the Express/Ground Test Sites Doing?

MassWineGuy

There were a couple or so locations where corporate is testing the planned hand off to Ground of SOS and P1 residential freight. Are these places still actively testing? If so, how’s it going?

It will be fine

We’ve been getting plenty of 2 day Express volume. We deliver a fair amount of volume due on Mon and Tues on Sat or Sun. The only issue I see is a lot of it is small envelopes that take longer to sort.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
We're not part of the testing sites, but since we're caught up, the flood of FXE freight is being injected into the FXG system...

As @It will be fine observed, they're mostly small FXE bags, envelopes, and boxes.

I do something similar to Amazonian drivers and use weather bags to keep each SiD section organized since I'm in a rental with no shelving.

Just bring the whole section bag into the passenger seat and sort each cluster in stop order.

However, I don't follow the Amazonian way of lining them up on the dashboard, LoL

McFeely

Huge Member
There were a couple or so locations where corporate is testing the planned hand off to Ground of SOS and P1 residential freight. Are these places still actively testing? If so, how’s it going?

Is this the Kalispell, MT location you're referring to? Or a different station?

MassWineGuy

There was a test spot in North Carolina.

I don’t know what, but after Peak I would expect some significant changes to what we do now. That’s if Peak ever ends, of course.

McFeely

Huge Member
There was a test spot in North Carolina.

Oh do you mean the LMO stuff? That's well beyond just the North Carolina test market. I pick up a handful of Express packages daily that end up on a Ground truck for delivery.

From the FedEx earnings call:
"Last mile optimization, which is delivery of specific FedEx Express residential and rural packages by FedEx Ground has successfully launched in 26 origin markets with an additional seven markets scheduled in July."

McFeely

Huge Member
The Kalispell, Montana location I mentioned is also handing off freight to Ground. But they are moving an Express station inside of a Ground terminal and many Express drivers will be displaced. A little different than just handing off a few packages to Ground.

Big changes for that station.

MassWineGuy

Then I guess I’m fortunate to have a few other stations in my general area to go to.

Everything various managers have told me makes me think that part timers like me should be safe. That’s where jobs are moving.

Plus, I want to see if I can move into a FedEx Services position in media relations. A stretch, but I’m qualified. And I just love Memphis barbecue. Is the weather different than in the northeast?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then I guess I’m fortunate to have a few other stations in my general area to go to.

Everything various managers have told me makes me think that part timers like me should be safe. That’s where jobs are moving.

Bear in mind that Kalispell, MT is a small town out in the middle of nowhere in a state that has a population density of 7 people per square mile.

MassWineGuy

True. Actually, Kalispell is a cool little place. I lived there one summer while fighting fires for the U.S. Forest Service. Lovely area. More populated than 7 per mile. If you include animals.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
True. Actually, Kalispell is a cool little place. I lived there one summer while fighting fires for the U.S. Forest Service. Lovely area. More populated than 7 per mile. If you include animals.

It's the state that has a population of 7 ppl/sq mi.

vantexan

I'm in Idaho now. Think I'm going to drive up there in August. It and Jackson, Wyoming are two places I want to see.