I May be Paranoid, But...

MassWineGuy

So I got a letter from Anthem asking if I was eligible for Medicare. I tossed it in the trash because it’s none of their business. But it makes me wonder if FedEx will try to reduce its health care expense by requiring eligible employees to switch to Medicare.

It's probably illegal and can’t be required. But I don’t really know.

bacha29

So I got a letter from Anthem asking if I was eligible for Medicare. I tossed it in the trash because it’s none of their business. But it makes me wonder if FedEx will try to reduce its health care expense by requiring eligible employees to switch to Medicare.

Will you soon turn 65? if so Medicare will send you that letter so I wouldn't try to read too much into it from that perspective. From Fat Freddy's perspective ........be prepared for anything.

MassWineGuy

I’m 66 and signing up for basic part A is required unless you want to incur a penalty. So I am eligible and registered. But I’m not going to share anything with Anthem.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

You can bet that’s exactly what they want to do.

bacha29

I’m 66 and signing up for basic part A is required unless you want to incur a penalty. So I am eligible and registered. But I’m not going to share anything with Anthem.
Look for Anthem to try to switch you to a Medicare Advantage or the far costlier Medicare Supplement plan.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Look for Anthem to try to switch you to a Medicare Advantage or the far costlier Medicare Supplement plan.
Anthem will switch him to Medicare as his primary insurance carrier, with them as secondary. It's legal. Secondary is not supplemental. It will not pay whatever Medicare doesn't.

Medicare Advantage is superior insurance ONLY for people who do not use it. The deductibles and copays are onerous. My Medicare A/B/G coverage is $275 per month. My $60,000 knee replacement w/PT cost me only the $198 deductible. Having the other one done next week, won't cost me anything.

bacha29

Anthem will switch him to Medicare as his primary insurance carrier, with them as secondary. It's legal. Secondary is not supplemental. It will not pay whatever Medicare doesn't.

Medicare Advantage is superior insurance ONLY for people who do not use it. The deductibles and copays are onerous. My Medicare A/B/G coverage is $275 per month. My $60,000 knee replacement w/PT cost me only the $198 deductible. Having the other one done next week, won't cost me anything.
The premium for my Medicare Advantage plan is $23 a month. It has a $750 annual deductible and a $4000 maximum annual out of pocket which I have never met and my prescription's are covered nearly 100%. The insurer is the provider network and is owned by a major university. The representative who sold me the policy placed a chart in front of me and showed me how the additional coverage's offered by a supplemental plan are matched almost dollar for dollar by increased premiums. And for that reason the rep recommended that I take the Medicare Advantage plan.

Since we live in different states and under McCarron Ferguson states have the right to regulate insurance carriers in their respective states it would be pointless to try to argue which one of us has the plan that offers the greater value.

MassWineGuy

Looking through various websites showed that it’s illegal for an employer to force someone to use Medicare if they want to use the company plan.