UPS Truck Involved in Death

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Trying to wrap my head around this one. The Averitt driver got out when UPS was backing into a bay next to him? Did he get pinned in between his truck and the UPS trailer? Did he walk into UPS’ path? Either way, sad loss of life. RIP, driver.

over9five

Staff member
Trying to wrap my head around this one. The Averitt driver got out when UPS was backing into a bay next to him? Did he get pinned in between his truck and the UPS trailer? Did he walk into UPS’ path? Either way, sad loss of life. RIP, driver.
Yeah, it sounds like he wasn't paying attention and it costed him his life.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would never ever get out of the tractor when someone was backing onto the bay on my driver's side because that's his blind side. Unless he's pulled out completely straight from the bay door he can't see you and even then I wouldn't do it because now you're giving him one more thing to worry about while he's trying to back his trailer onto the door. Sit in the cab and wait til he's done, putting the landing gear down 30 seconds sooner isn't worth risking your life.

over9five

Staff member
I would never ever get out of the tractor when someone was backing onto the bay on my driver's side because that's his blind side. Unless he's pulled out completely straight from the bay door he can't see you and even then I wouldn't do it because now you're giving him one more thing to worry about while he's trying to back his trailer onto the door. Sit in the cab and wait til he's done, putting the landing gear down 30 seconds sooner isn't worth risking your life.
Same. There is no way you should be outside your cab while someones backing in on your drivers side.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I never put a trailer on with some one hooked up to me in my blind side unless I make eye contact with them and know they're staying put inside tractor , drives me crazy when I see guys start to back when another is outside working lines , pin or gear , recipe for a disaster such as this !!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We couldnt even back to a door that was OPEN. One peak it was super busy as usual and they said in the building they didnt have the time to shut the doors before us backing.

I refused. had a supe come out in yard and "order" me to back and I refused. Got on the shifter radio and told all the drivers NOT to back if the door was open. All 4 of us came together in yard and parked the yardbirds.

The supe just stood there FUMING. It was a stare down contest until he walked into building and had his people shut the doors.

They love to talk safety but only if it's convenient for them.

quad decade guy

Remember this: People are careless and stupid. Negligent too. Careless. Stupid even. Stupid? Based on responses around here, it's also none of your business...safety that is. You will be belittled and abused. Deliberately, obstinately unsafe. Speeding, running stop signs, work zones, yards, ear buds, cell phones....just another tally on fatalities.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Remember this: People are careless and stupid. Negligent too. Careless. Stupid even. Stupid? Based on responses around here, it's also none of your business...safety that is. You will be belittled and abused. Deliberately, obstinately unsafe. Speeding, running stop signs, work zones, yards, ear buds, cell phones....just another tally on fatalities.
Are you talking about here as in your building ,or here as in Browncafe where you get belittled and abused for safety?

Integrity

Binge Poster
You seem angry.
What to you do to be part of the solution?
Do you report every safety concern that you observe?