why hate off the street hires ?

clean hairy

When an off the street hire who tries to act like a know it all about the other jobs in the building, when they have never done any of the other jobs.
That might be where part of the problem with bad feelings towards some of the off the street.

teddy42

So, let me get this right... I'm hated because I'm a 20 year Teamster, with 20 years tractor trailer experience, and accepted a feeder job off the street that no one else wanted?

I'm sure every UPS driver, whether package or feeder, whether they started as a part timer, or off the street, have paid their dues in one way or another. I'm sure UPS wants nothing but the best out on the street, and yes, I'm sure we all got to be that way due to work and life experiences we all have, whether they came from UPS or somewhere else. It takes a certain work ethic to be a UPS driver, and I don't think the different paths we all traveled down to get where we are today are important.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Not going to happen it took me 17 years to get into feeder
Waiting 17 years to get into a position you wanted? That's insane! Seventeen years is a career for most people. You ask most people who start a job "where do you want to be in 17 years?" and they will figure retired or not at that job anymore-at very least. At UPS, 17 years is just getting started-it's the probationary period. I think you're no longer considered a new hire after 10 years if I'm not mistaken. :rolleyes:

Non sequitur

I agree with 10/1 inside to out next contract. Both jobs (delivery and feeders) are difficult. One you hore out your body the other your sleep. Ups doesn't just give away money, you will pay dearly for it.

jaker

trolling
Waiting 17 years to get into a position you wanted? That's insane! Seventeen years is a career for most people. You ask most people who start a job "where do you want to be in 17 years?" and they will figure retired or not at that job anymore-at very least. At UPS, 17 years is just getting started-it's the probationary period. I think you're no longer considered a new hire after 10 years if I'm not mistaken. :rolleyes:
You are right about the 10 year thing , I remember at a PCM they only wanted to talk to the guys under ten years because they are still consider rookie

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with 10/1 inside to out next contract. Both jobs (delivery and feeders) are difficult. One you hore out your body the other your sleep. Ups doesn't just give away money, you will pay dearly for it.

They are having a hard time now trying to fill vacant positions from the inside. Increasing the ratio to 10:1 will make it nearly impossible.

My loader is a perfect example. The kid works very hard and does an excellent job. He drove last Peak and was supposed to be a Saturday air driver until they kept dicking him around by scheduling him and then sending him home or not scheduling him at all. He has bills to pay and recently got a FT job delivering produce, effectively putting his UPS driving career on hold, at least for the time being.

I look around at the PTers in the morning and know that there are very few of them who would have a decent shot at qualifying.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm just curious but seems like upsers that worked their way up through box trucks and tossing packages around hate the feeder driver that got hired off the street what's the reason for that ? He is still going to have less seniority than you and will get out bid on most of his runs until he puts his time in. I don't know why the annemosity. Just curious to see what everyone's take is on this.
You try waiting for years to go full time, working for this company, and then some clown comes in off the street and takes your job.

Wally

Stop comparing your off the street package to feeder

If you notice no one really cares about off the street package and even this thread is about feeder not package

So once again you are not special
Aren't you being a bit harsh on Bozo?

Coldworld

Stop comparing your off the street package to feeder

If you notice no one really cares about off the street package and even this thread is about feeder not package

So once again you are not special
His ego would never survive in a 200 car building....fact!!

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You should have to work part time to become a driver. Point blank period. Becoming a feeder driver straight off the street is even more ridiculous. It's he job most people want to do and it's just handed to someone? Get outta here with that BS

Wally

Call me Bozo and thank me for my service.
2RmP4A.gif

MAKAVELI

Banned
You should have to work part time to become a driver. Point blank period. Becoming a feeder driver straight off the street is even more ridiculous. It's he job most people want to do and it's just handed to someone? Get outta here with that BS
Umm... The off the street feeder driver most likely has way more experience driving a semi than an inside hire.

Poop Head

Judge me.
This doesn't make sense to me. 17 years a "career"? Maybe at Wendy's