“I want to be a driver!”

Sixth Punch Sense

They have no clue, hell, I had no clue until I was up to my neck in packages in a bricked out P800.
Started peak 2019, finished packet Feb 2020. Then covid hit. Spent the next 7 months doing 300 stops out of a Penske. I would deliver straight air, then find an empty parking lot and pull everything out just to reorganize. Towards the end of covid I was a ninja. Last one out of the building but all my smalls were toted per shelf. Had Gaylords and totes dividing each shelf in the rear. Hit a new shelf and that corresponding shelf small tote was in the cab like an Amazon driver.

Driving now is easy, I never want to step into a rental again

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Started peak 2019, finished packet Feb 2020. Then covid hit. Spent the next 7 months doing 300 stops out of a Penske. I would deliver straight air, then find an empty parking lot and pull everything out just to reorganize. Towards the end of covid I was a ninja. Last one out of the building but all my smalls were toted per shelf. Had Gaylords and totes dividing each shelf in the rear. Hit a new shelf and that corresponding shelf small tote was in the cab like an Amazon driver.

Sounds Hellish. 😳. I would occasionally cover a route that was in a 24 footer, hated it with a passion.

Sixth Punch Sense

Sounds Hellish. 😳. I would occasionally cover a route that was in a 24 footer, hated it with a passion.
Yep, truly awful. But nothing dispatch does to me can ever compare so I take each new day as that a new day.

Best words/advice that I heard as a newbie.

1. Slow is steady and steady is fast
2. It'll get done when it gets done
3. Get on the 95 list

UnionStrong

Yep, truly awful. But nothing dispatch does to me can ever compare so I take each new as that a new day.

2. It'll get done when it get's done
3. Get on the 95 list
No such thing as 9.5 list when I started. The senior drivers would say the same thing though, one stop at a time and don’t run.

Sixth Punch Sense

No such thing as 9.5 list when I started. The senior drivers would say the same thing though, one stop at a time and don’t run.
Never run, never work off the clock. Had a really good mentor, thankful for him. I have 3 senior drivers in my loop that show up 45 minutes early and sort there trucks. I show up 15 minutes early to shoot the :censored2: with them, but won't touch a package off the clock.

UnionStrong

Never run, never work off the clock. Had a really good mentor, thankful for him. I have 3 senior drivers in my loop that show up 45 minutes early and sort there trucks. I show up 15 minutes early to shoot the :censored2: with them, but won't touch a package off the clock.
It was the same, the biggest violators of working off the clock were some high seniority drivers. Go figure.

Emergency Conditions

Just working through covid while in progression would be bad enough but doing it out of a rental sounds like hell...

Emergency Conditions

Most will work a few days during peak then quietly park their bricked out package car in the yard and bail. Happens every Peak just like clockwork.
Or they'll no call no show after they hire on as a PVD "to get their foot in the door", proceed to get their Altima stuck in a snow bank and have to spend more than their days pay on an after hours tow truck call that UPS will refuse to reimburse them for.

clean hairy

Yep, truly awful. But nothing dispatch does to me can ever compare so I take each new day as that a new day.

2. It'll get done when it gets done
3. Get on the 95 list
#1 is so true!
Original Top Gear, star in a reasonably priced car.
Fastest times were the ones where it did not appear fast.
The ones who appeared to be flying around the track had not so good lap times.