If you are rear ended, what method did u fail?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I hear UPS always finds a way to blame you. Assuming you have your ebrake on, what would UPS charge you with if someone re-ended you are a red light cause they werent paying attention?

The reason i ask is because i got in a tier 1 accident that was unavoidable. I used all methods to avoid it but other drive caused it and admitted it. Im not worried or anything but im pissed cause i like to stay off the radar and now if i "cause" an accident anytime soon they will be on my ass a lot more than if this guy never bumped me.
"Space on all 4 sides, but always in front." lol

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I ask my on car when I was first training why they wanted me to look in the mirrors to see what people was going on behind me, and he said something like if I saw a car barreling down on me, that I was suppose to tap on my brakes several times to hopefully "wake" the driver up and slow down.
If you were stopped, he's a dummy. By "tapping" your brakes several times while stopped that means you're taking your foot off the brake while doing that which is unsafe. If you're stopped and see someone in your mirrors about to rear end you and you're not able to drive forward to get away from it, best thing to do is to brace for impact. If you have time you could honk or hit the flashers real quick I suppose.

Packmule

I hear UPS always finds a way to blame you. Assuming you have your ebrake on, what would UPS charge you with if someone re-ended you are a red light cause they werent paying attention?

The reason i ask is because i got in a tier 1 accident that was unavoidable. I used all methods to avoid it but other drive caused it and admitted it. Im not worried or anything but im pissed cause i like to stay off the radar and now if i "cause" an accident anytime soon they will be on my ass a lot more than if this guy never bumped me.
You will not be charged but the incident will be thrown in your face the rest of your career at UPS. Ten years from now they won't say you had an unavoidable, they'll just call it an accident and count it no different than an avoidable.

upschuck

If you were stopped, he's a dummy. By "tapping" your brakes several times while stopped that means you're taking your foot off the brake while doing that which is unsafe. If you're stopped and see someone in your mirrors about to rear end you and you're not able to drive forward to get away from it, best thing to do is to brace for impact. If you have time you could honk or hit the flashers real quick I suppose.
If you are stopped, following methods, your e-brake is applied and the only reason for foot on brake is for the brake light to be illuminated. He was saying we should do it long before emanate impact.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you are stopped, following methods, your e-brake is applied and the only reason for foot on brake is for the brake light to be illuminated. He was saying we should do it long before emanate impact.
The reason for the handbrake being on when stopped longer than 6 seconds is as a backup in case an impact knocks our foot off the main brake. It's not intended to replace the regular braking system. Even if adjusted properly and working perfectly, the handbrake only works on 2 wheels. As such, it's not safe to take your foot off the brake to try to signal someone with the brake lights. You'd be safer to turn on your flashers if you had that much time.

upschuck

The reason for the handbrake being on when stopped longer than 6 seconds is as a backup in case an impact knocks our foot off the main brake. It's not intended to replace the regular braking system. Even if adjusted properly and working perfectly, the handbrake only works on 2 wheels. As such, it's not safe to take your foot off the brake to try to signal someone with the brake lights. You'd be safer to turn on your flashers if you had that much time.
Imagine that, we get told different things again, when it should be nationwide. We are told e-brake at every stop light. Flasher(rear) don't work if brake is engaged, I don't think.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Imagine that, we get told different things again, when it should be nationwide. We are told e-brake at every stop light.
I know. New folks are trained here to hit handbrake anytime you anticipate being stopped longer than six seconds--even stop signs where you're waiting to turn right in traffic.
Flasher (rear) don't work if brake is engaged, I don't think.
You're probably right.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If you are rear ended here is some things they can blame on you depending on your story

You didn't stop smooth
You didn't leave enough room for the person to go around
You didn't put on flasher
You didn't scan your mirrors before stopping
And you didnt expect the unexpected

And, you didn't maintain a space cushion on all 4 sides! There's no winning when the rules are written to sew you in.

laffter

The driver of one of the routes I load had this exact thing happen to him. I don't recall what he said the outcome was, but he was [initially] found at fault because he "shouldn't have been where he was".

That's beautiful.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
We've heard the tap the taillights thing here also but we've also have heard that if you stopped in an area that could be higher risk ( the bottom of an exit ramp, snowy/icy roads,etc) then flip your flashers on once you've come to a stop to attempt to get more attention from anyone approaching from the rear.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Actually bracing for impact is what causes whiplash. Ideally you would like your whole body to go limp.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You will not be charged but the incident will be thrown in your face the rest of your career at UPS. Ten years from now they won't say you had an unavoidable, they'll just call it an accident and count it no different than an avoidable.
Actually they are called crashes now. Accident would imply no one is at fault.

barnyard

KTM rider
I was rear-ended last Spring. Left turn, signaled in advance, tapped the brake a couple of times. Hit by a guy that was texting. Said he saw my turn signal, saw me tap the brakes, did not see the line of cars approaching that would not allow me to turn. Read a text, hit me.

Unavoidable.

Deputy happened to be driving by while we were waiting for a supe to come out. Wrote a report and wrote the other guy a ticket.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I find it funny that alot of drivers these days look at any accident and try to find a way to blame the one not at fault. I even heard one say " If he had not taken lunch when he did, he would not have been there to get rear ended". Kinda pathetic in my opinion.