Swap Grievance Pay for Job

kingdiamondstylus

Hi everyone. RPCD from Desert Mountan district here.

I wanted to ask if other members had ever traded their grievances for their jobs in the past? In my building it’s not only normal but some drivers even traded their grievances in order to secure someone ELSES job.

I know that in other Centers some drivers file a lot of grievances during Peak for supe working. This year, I had about 8$k in grievances waiting to be settled. In the meantime just after the new year, I had a medical issue while I was on the clock. I had to end my day early and essentially immediately with little notice to management. Even though I have FMLA, they still put my feet to the fire, fired me for abandoning my job. Just before my Center level hearing, my Steward said that they were all over me for the grievances and would I settle the termination case by surrendering those (unrelated) grievances. I could return to work immediately if so. The other option I was given was to face the panel in about a month for possible discharge because at this point the company didn’t want to negotiate.

I did give them the money since I was too scared of losing somehow at panel. Obviously it’s already passed but in hindsight it seemed shady because now I feel like their eyes are on me again. And with no more pending grievances I feel very vulnerable. Plus they doing everything to cut that they can. Now I’m double nervous.

Does this happen in your building?
Will they still focus on me or will I have a little bit of peace?

They still haven’t paid out our grievances from Peak either btw.

Thanks for your input.

FTM’s!!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I wanted to ask if other members had ever traded their grievances for their jobs in the past? In my building it’s not only normal but some drivers even traded their grievances in order to secure someone ELSES job.

I know that in other Centers some drivers file a lot of grievances during Peak for supe working. This year, I had about 8$k in grievances waiting to be settled. In the meantime just after the new year, I had a medical issue while I was on the clock. I had to end my day early and essentially immediately with little notice to management. Even though I have FMLA, they still put my feet to the fire, fired me for abandoning my job. Just before my Center level hearing, my Steward said that they were all over me for the grievances and would I settle the termination case by surrendering those (unrelated) grievances. I could return to work immediately if so. The other option I was given was to face the panel in about a month for possible discharge because at this point the company didn’t want to negotiate.

I did give them the money since I was too scared of losing somehow at panel. Obviously it’s already passed but in hindsight it seemed shady because now I feel like their eyes are on me again. And with no more pending grievances I feel very vulnerable. Plus they doing everything to cut that they can. Now I’m double nervous.

Thanks for your input.

FTM’s!!!
@BigUnionGuy could you take this one

Johney

You had a medical emergency at work, left for treatment and they fired you for job abandonment? Your stewards say drop your grievances(which have nothing to do with your firing). I’d say your stewards are sucking the company dicks.

kingdiamondstylus

You had a medical emergency at work, left for treatment and they fired you for job abandonment? Your stewards say drop your grievances(which have nothing to do with your firing). I’d say your stewards are sucking the company dicks.
I feel you’re not toooo far off in that assessment

Babagounj, were u? Om Shankar

Thebrownblob

Thanks for your input.

FTM’s!!!
I would’ve politely declined that offer from your Steward, if what you say is true and you had a medical emergency and had to leave and informed management, I highly doubt you would’ve been terminated unless there’s a lot more to the story that I don’t know. I’ve had plenty of people in the middle of the day with a medical emergency. Also, where was your business agent during this agreement?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
ASSUMING that we've gotten the whole story.
I'm not feeling it on this one.

kingdiamondstylus

I would’ve politely declined that offer from your Steward, if what you say is true and you had a medical emergency and had to leave and informed management, I highly doubt you would’ve been terminated unless there’s a lot more to the story that I don’t know. I’ve had plenty of people in the middle of the day with a medical emergency. Also, where was your business agent during this agreement?
It never really got to the BA, beyond a call confirming the union’s having filed on my behalf, center level meeting would be “….”

It was settled then and there at Center hearing. Steward. Me. Center manager. . Management retracted their letter. I retracted grievances.

I did make them show me theirs first, tho 🤣

Thebrownblob

It never really got to the BA, beyond a call confirming the union’s having filed on my behalf, center level meeting would be “….”

It was settled then and there at Center hearing. Steward. Me. Center manager. . Management retracted their letter. I retracted grievances.

I did make them show me theirs first, tho 🤣
OK well that was your decision and that’s fine but I’m gonna tell you now if your story is what you say you would’ve been fine. No reason to drop any other grievances that were legitimate. You gave that money away on your own.

kingdiamondstylus

Not buying?

My stewards said the company was just using the threat of possibly losing at panel to leverage the grievances. I could choose one or the other. I’d “likely” win at panel but no guarantees.

In the context of my life career and that of my family, I (foolishly?) gave in.

It’s hard to see now, today, how I could be so naive. But you also can’t go back 4 weeks and remember exactly how you felt

Thebrownblob

Not buying?

My stewards said the company was just using the threat of possibly losing at panel to leverage the grievances. I could choose one or the other. I’d “likely” win at panel but no guarantees.

It’s hard to see now, today, how I could be so naive. But you also can’t go back 4 weeks and remember exactly how you felt
Live and learn, they got the better end of that deal.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Not buying?

There are three sides to every story.

I've defended entirely too many people who told me "exactly what happened", only to get blindsided by massive omissions during the local level.

I don't know you, and I am not saying your story is untrue.
I'm just saying this is the internet, and we might be getting your slightly biased perspective on it.

I've defended entirely too many people who told me "exactly what happened", only to get blindsided by massive omissions during the local level.

I'm just saying this is the internet, and we might be getting your slightly biased perspective on it.
Are you trying to say everything on here is not true?

kingdiamondstylus

You couldn’t be more accurate. I understand your position and appreciate your input.