Weak BA

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Why not save that in case your "chat" doesn't work out?

Resident know-it-all.
Not my style.

This isn't one person's payroll error grievance. This is a collective being screwed out of money entitled to them by OUR bargaining agreement.

If you can't trust your BA to handle open/shut grievances, how the hell can you trust them to handle anything else?

Here's a better question. Why are we engaging each other on an issue like this? You neither participate in your local nor, do you experience excessive overtime.

Perhaps that's because, you calmly stated to your manager, you need to be home in time to watch "The People's Court". And, that's fine and dandy with me but, you should know, not all of us are lapdogs.

Sent using a Potato

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Perhaps that's because, you calmly stated to your manager, you need to be home in time to watch "The People's Court". And, that's fine and dandy with me but, you should know, not all of us are lapdogs.

Sent using a Potato
3pm? You know, if you put a little spring in your step you could make it home by 5-6 as well.

10 point

So much for trying to discuss this like grown ups.

Resident know-it-all.
When a thief is robbing your home you can try having one of your "calm discussions" with him and I'm sure that he will gain so much respect for you that he'll put your money back into your wallet and lock your door for you on the way out.

The sad part is Brown's thief is being paid to steal by the members that pay him to fight for them. That's even worse. Been there. It sucks.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
KNOWLEDGE CONTINUES TO FIGHT A LOST FIGHT, A DAMN DOMINO EFFECT , BUT KEEP THE GOOD FIGHT BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

RIH251

Very similar situation at our UPS at Local 251. Friends are telling me the new TDU BA there is a complete sell out. Settling overtime grievances for pennies on the dollar. This guy was at one time standing in front of UPS with his stewards handing out flyers to encourage drivers to sign up for this reduced overtime list.....Just a few months later hes screwing them out of the penalty pay they're entitled to. Company is violating the language, members are filing and the BA is bargaining them down to nothing.

Elvis657

Maybe your BA used the "adopting guidelines" clause we still have in our southern supplement ( thanks to our local negotiator ) and made the company happy... Too much back room dealings with all the current Hoffa followers....

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

Very similar situation at our UPS at Local 251. Friends are telling me the new TDU BA there is a complete sell out. Settling overtime grievances for pennies on the dollar. This guy was at one time standing in front of UPS with his stewards handing out flyers to encourage drivers to sign up for this reduced overtime list.....Just a few months later hes screwing them out of the penalty pay they're entitled to. Company is violating the language, members are filing and the BA is bargaining them down to nothing.
So...what's the deal? What you folks doing about it?

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe your BA used the "adopting guidelines" clause we still have in our southern supplement ( thanks to our local negotiator ) and made the company happy... Too much back room dealings with all the current Hoffa followers....

Sent using BrownCafe App
Not in the southern.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
This is common practice. It is a sad state of what our union is today...... Makes me sad thinking bout it. I now need to drink even more beer on my weekend to forget the hell that is the new ups....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When a thief is robbing your home you can try having one of your "calm discussions" with him and I'm sure that he will gain so much respect for you that he'll put your money back into your wallet and lock your door for you on the way out.

The sad part is Brown's thief is being paid to steal by the members that pay him to fight for them. That's even worse. Been there. It sucks.

All I am saying is that the right thing to do would be to pull the BA aside before the meeting begins and express your concerns. If he/she blows you off then by all means use the "new business" portion of the meeting to call him/her out.

10 point

All I am saying is that the right thing to do would be to pull the BA aside before the meeting begins and express your concerns. If he/she blows you off then by all means use the "new business" portion of the meeting to call him/her out.
The BA knows what they are doing and the trouble it is going to stir up.
The only way members should "talk softly" is by following thru with the "big LEGAL stick".
It's like training children that purposely disobey the rules.

I would always talk respectfully if I knew that it was an honest mistake. When a BA purposely screws the people they represent it not only greatly discourages the people who had the backbone to file on contract violations it creates a hostile work environment for them. BUT NOT FOR THE PIECE OF TRASH BA because they don't work at UPS!

It's fraud and it makes our blood boil because it's also done out of arrogance. You have no clue.

RIH251

Exactly the problem in providence. Apparently guys have stopped filing grievances over this particular violation because the .10¢ on the dollar payout just ain't worth it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

Exactly the problem in providence. Apparently guys have stopped filing grievances over this particular violation because the .10¢ on the dollar payout just ain't worth it.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Get any "warranty" with that new BA? Call TDU and see if there's a recall on that model.

That exact situation was a catalyst for our No vote (not the only reason tho) and we were just told the 9.5 language is deadlocked.

It's been a year and all that parading of "new, stronger 9.5 language" was evidently a lie?

This place sucks. Integrity means nothing.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
9.5 grievance payments should never be reduced because there is absolutely no question of the violation once the driver's time card is pulled and it can be verified he's on the list and has been violated. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

As far as supervisors working, anything less than 50% at double time is a joke unless the company can prove emergency conditions AND exhausting all available means to have more bargaining unit members available. If it's for a few hours (a violation but not totally egregious, the company isn't replacing a bargaining unit member with a supervisor for the entire shift/day) then it's simply not worth it to pay the docketing fee and collect notarized statements for witnesses. It depends on how well the grievance is written, ie. witnesses, accurate times, evidence of intentional under-staffing, not calling in doubles, etc.

If it's something more egregious, like an on-car supervisor running a route all day or a supervisor working an entire PT shift for a day or more and the company low balls, it should go to panel. If the business managers and/or labor manager are intentionally low-balling monetary grievances, then the BA needs to take the most egregious/warranted grievances to panel and embarrass someone.

There's definitely a fine line between taking every case to panel when 95% of them should be settled at the local level (looking at you Locals 804 and 177) and simply accepting pennies on the dollar for the sake of getting along.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There's definitely a fine line between taking every case to panel when 95% of them should be settled at the local level (looking at you Locals 804 and 177) and simply accepting pennies on the dollar for the sake of getting along.

dwc10h.jpg

:wink2:

-Bug-

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
9.5 grievance payments should never be reduced because there is absolutely no question of the violation once the driver's time card is pulled and it can be verified he's on the list and has been violated. It doesn't get any more cut and dry than that.

As far as supervisors working, anything less than 50% at double time is a joke unless the company can prove emergency conditions AND exhausting all available means to have more bargaining unit members available. If it's for a few hours (a violation but not totally egregious, the company isn't replacing a bargaining unit member with a supervisor for the entire shift/day) then it's simply not worth it to pay the docketing fee and collect notarized statements for witnesses. It depends on how well the grievance is written, ie. witnesses, accurate times, evidence of intentional under-staffing, not calling in doubles, etc.

If it's something more egregious, like an on-car supervisor running a route all day or a supervisor working an entire PT shift for a day or more and the company low balls, it should go to panel. If the business managers and/or labor manager are intentionally low-balling monetary grievances, then the BA needs to take the most egregious/warranted grievances to panel and embarrass someone.

:goodpost: