22.4 Worries

PackageCarStar

Hi, I just got promoted from unload to 22.4. I was told it would be permanent after peak, but I have heard that UPS promotes part-timers to “permanent” positions during peak and then DQ’s them when they are no longer needed, dumping them back to pt. How true is this?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
22.4 is a manipulative position ups and the union came up with to lure preload and afternoon sort into “full time” positions with the company for less pay.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Give it a try and make the money. A lot of drivers like me are retiring and spots will open up. The worse that can happen is you get bumped back to Preload after Peak. We have trouble keeping drivers where I am at.

PT Car Washer

22.4 is a manipulative position ups and the union came up with to lure preload and afternoon sort into “full time” positions with the company for less pay.
Almost all of our 22.4 drivers are off the street either due to the fact that a lot of our PT already make more than starting 22.4 or the new hires are not qualified or not interested in a FT job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Give it a try and make the money. A lot of drivers like me are retiring and spots will open up. The worse that can happen is you get bumped back to Preload after Peak. We have trouble keeping drivers where I am at.
I would say worst that can happen is they decide they hate it and never want to drive full time.

I’d say anymore that happens with about 75% of Xmas seasonal drivers.

JustDeliverIt

Hi, I just got promoted from unload to 22.4. I was told it would be permanent after peak, but I have heard that UPS promotes part-timers to “permanent” positions during peak and then DQ’s them when they are no longer needed, dumping them back to pt. How true is this?

It depends also on when you start on the road. If you are going out this week or already have been out, you should have enough time to get your 30 days in to qualify. If you work day 31 before Nov. 15 (at least in my area, supplemental language may vary) then you are in before the free period.

Work 5 days a week and call your hall or talk to your steward, find out the details relative to your area.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Can you work Saturdays the next 25 years?
🧔✊

PackageCarStar

It depends also on when you start on the road. If you are going out this week or already have been out, you should have enough time to get your 30 days in to qualify. If you work day 31 before Nov. 15 (at least in my area, supplemental language may vary) then you are in before the free period.

Work 5 days a week and call your hall or talk to your steward, find out the details relative to your area.
Sadly I am just missing the deadline to qualify :(

Red UPSer

22.4 is a full time position you qualify for, you just don't have 9.5 protections. What you are describing sounds like just seasonal driving.