Amazon's Steamrolling of FedEx Postponed

falcon back

They're getting rid of drivers. Again.
That has to be fake news. Everyone on here said Fedex's days were numbered and Bezos was gonna buy Fedex and Amazon's $15 hr contract drivers were gonna put us out of a job. You need to delete that post immediately.

falcon back

Or it could mean Amazon runs an efficient operation.
You are correct. They are so efficient their 1 day delivery is now 2 and 3 days in many cases. Their drivers are on the news very often doing crazy things. More than ours and UPS. They had to delay delivering packages for other companies due to problems. Yep, you are 100% correct. Amazon delivery drivers are very efficient.

vantexan

You are correct. They are so efficient their 1 day delivery is now 2 and 3 days in many cases. Their drivers are on the news very often doing crazy things. More than ours and UPS. They had to delay delivering packages for other companies due to problems. Yep, you are 100% correct. Amazon delivery drivers are very efficient.
Thanks, I knew you'd agree.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Or it could mean Amazon runs an efficient operation.

Or it could mean Amazon found out that the package movement industry is a little more complicated than all the Bezos c***suckers in here understood. You don't pare down your workforce when you're having WDLs out the wazoo because your operation is efficient.

AB831

Wow, they might be bankrupt by the end of the year. Maybe Bezos can beg Fat Freddy to give him pointers on how to run a business.

It will be fine

Or it could mean Amazon found out that the package movement industry is a little more complicated than all the Bezos c***suckers in here understood. You don't pare down your workforce when you're having WDLs out the wazoo because your operation is efficient.
I don’t think Amazon is actually cutting any drivers. They are ending their contracts with the very large contractors that they started with. They want smaller contractors that they can move on from easier when there are issues.

AB831

I don’t think Amazon is actually cutting any drivers. They are ending their contracts with the very large contractors that they started with. They want smaller contractors that they can move on from easier when there are issues.
That’s exactly what it means, but either the resident bootlicker didn’t actually read the article, or he has reading comprehension issues.

vantexan

Thanks, I knew you'd agree.

It will be fine

That’s exactly what it means, but either the resident bootlicker didn’t actually read the article, or he has reading comprehension issues.
It’s still an indictment of Amazon’s model. They wanted larger contractors so they could afford to operate at lower margins. Amazon has learned that large absentee owners aren’t great for safety or service results. Now I believe the plan is to keep the margins low and keep the contractors small. That’s not going to attract great contractors either. Amazon is still flailing in this endeavor.

59 Dano

They are definitely cutting drivers. Also cut some back a few months ago. I don't disagree with your take.

59 Dano

I didn't speculate on what it meant, I merely said what they're doing. Comprehension isn't an issue.

vantexan

It’s still an indictment of Amazon’s model. They wanted larger contractors so they could afford to operate at lower margins. Amazon has learned that large absentee owners aren’t great for safety or service results. Now I believe the plan is to keep the margins low and keep the contractors small. That’s not going to attract great contractors either. Amazon is still flailing in this endeavor.
And it could be that potential contractors are looking at the Ground model and deciding it's more than they want to deal with. Along with what you said.

59 Dano

This same thing was pointed out when Amazon got into the airline business. Contract with 3rd parties who will take on much of the expense and risk and demand as much as you can from them knowing that they're in too deep to just walk away. And if they don't perform to Amazon's liking, they'll cancel the contract or not renew. If they are in the wrong by cancelling the contract, let the little guy take them to court (if he can afford to) or Amazon simply cuts a check for whatever they owe the guy and move on to someone else. Very small price to pay.

Amazon is, from what little I've heard, making Ground's contracts seem generous.

McFeely

Huge Member
You don't pare down your workforce when you're having WDLs out the wazoo because your operation is efficient.

Doesn’t sound like the drivers are being cut. Contracts are being canceled and the drivers are being moved/rehired with new contractors.
Unless I’m reading this wrong:

“We have ended relationships with some partners and Amazon is working closely with all impacted drivers to ensure they find opportunities to deliver Amazon packages with other local Delivery Service Partners with little to no disruption to pay,” the spokesperson added.

59 Dano

No, you said they're getting rid of drivers, which they aren't, and It Will Be Fine clarified what they're actually doing.

It says so in the headline, boss, "[c]uts more than 1200 delivery contract jobs." It says so in the article, "[m]ore than 1,200 drivers will lose their jobs as a result of the decision." And "Amazon informed at least seven firms that are a part of its delivery service partner, or DSP, program that it was severing their contracts. The companies announced they’d be laying off approximately 1,205 drivers..."

Now tell me again that they didn't cut any driver jobs.