Amazon's Steamrolling of FedEx Postponed

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Doesn’t sound like the drivers are being cut. Contracts are being canceled and the drivers are being moved/rehired with new contractors.
Unless I’m reading this wrong:

“We have ended relationships with some partners and Amazon is working closely with all impacted drivers to ensure they find opportunities to deliver Amazon packages with other local Delivery Service Partners with little to no disruption to pay,” the spokesperson added.

That's similar to the Express "no layoff" deal in which they'll accommodate you in your search for another position. They will connect you with another contractor who has an opening.

It will be fine

It says so in the headline, boss, "[c]uts more than 1200 delivery contract jobs." It says so in the article, "[m]ore than 1,200 drivers will lose their jobs as a result of the decision." And "Amazon informed at least seven firms that are a part of its delivery service partner, or DSP, program that it was severing their contracts. The companies announced they’d be laying off approximately 1,205 drivers..."

Now tell me again that they didn't cut any driver jobs.
Those routes will go to different DSPs that will need drivers.

floridays

This same thing was pointed out when Amazon got into the airline business
Amazon never got in the airline business, they were simply using aircraft to move their packages.
One of their products is an internet storefront that completes sales transactions. In an effort to maximize profit and control distribution costs they have chosen to deliver what they can. Aircraft and trucks are the mechanical means they have chosen to take advantage of.

Fedex is a delivery service, each operating company is centered on the delivery of goods. Without the delivery of goods all operations would cease to exist. Fedex Express is not an airline, under statute they are simply considered an airline, it has never, to my knowledge been challenged in court.

In performing their duty to deliver goods Express utilizes aircraft and road vehicles. The airline operation ends at the airport, the road transport begins at the airport, the service is then completed on receipt of goods. Take either out the service fails.

I can see with my eyes what is air transport and what is ground transport. I need no court to tell me what is an aircraft and what is ground transportation. In the end the business is the delivery of goods. Once again with no delivery of goods, the operations cease.

vantexan

It says so in the headline, boss, "[c]uts more than 1200 delivery contract jobs." It says so in the article, "[m]ore than 1,200 drivers will lose their jobs as a result of the decision." And "Amazon informed at least seven firms that are a part of its delivery service partner, or DSP, program that it was severing their contracts. The companies announced they’d be laying off approximately 1,205 drivers..."

They didn't, they severed the contracts of seven firms. Those firms are free to keep their drivers and deliver elsewhere. Just like how Ground contractors are independent and....oh, never mind.

falcon back

They didn't, they severed the contracts of seven firms. Those firms are free to keep their drivers and deliver elsewhere. Just like how Ground contractors are independent and....oh, never mind.
I am sure those companies will be able to replace the Amazon volume with someone else and keep every employee. Not hardly

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

They just didn't use FedEx jargon, like 'displaced' instead of laid off. Semantics.

And if you reread, the article says Amazon was cutting ties with DSP contractors. It was the contractors who laid off drivers. So, no, Amazon didn't lay off any drivers.

bacha29

It does indeed appear that Bezos has in fact copied Dan Sullivan's model. You have a contract but nothing's binding. If you get out of line and go cocking off to him he'll simply get rid of you in a heartbeat. You have no legal recourse, no due process.

Boxes going to your sector piling up in the warehouse and you can't find anybody willing to go out there and work all day and half the night for nothing? Well, they'l just take your ticket and give it to some fool who thinks he can or better yet they'll unilaterally assign it to some other contractor whether he wants it or not, he's stuck with it.

Feel sorry for the greedy out of wedlock's ( can't use the b word here) ? Not in the least. They dove right into it willfully choosing to ignore the volatility and unbalanced terms that were staring them right in their faces.

morgan

I don’t think Amazon is actually cutting any drivers. They are ending their contracts with the very large contractors that they started with. They want smaller contractors that they can move on from easier when there are issues.
They actually are laying off drivers. I have a friend who owns an area and has around 70 routes, it's basically like a fdx gnd scenario. It's very strange how they do things there, strange hours too. He's tried to explain it to me and I'm just like, "yeah I'm going for another beer". the strangest part is Amazon pays him a bundle for truck parking since their stations don't have the room. So he just bought a building down the street for parking and he's going to do maintenance for all the other route owners.

dmac1

I had two Amazon deliveries scheduled for delivery the same day. Both were coming from the center about 65 miles away. Got notified by email for each order that packages were out for delivery. One arrived at about 2 pm. Wondered where the other was, checked and it was scheduled for delivery at 6 pm. Different driver, different truck. If Amazon is scheduling deliveries like that and can't combine orders, it costs the contractors more, so of course they get 'disgruntled' One difference with Amazon cancelling a contract vs Amazon is that the 'partner' leases the vehicles directly from Amazon, so once the contract is terminated, there is no vehicle liability for the contractor. An Amazon 'partner' will not have spent thousands or hundreds of thousands to get into thr business. . But a lot of their drivers are terrible in that they blindly follow their tracking/GPS system and don't even look for an address.

vantexan

Amazon didn't cut those jobs, their contractors did. Surely you believe in the concept of independent contractors, right? You're not saying Ground is a sham, are you? Could it be that Ground contractors are not....nah, couldn't be!