Best non-driving job

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I do. I don't want to work in the building, it's boring. Country routes give you plenty of time to come up with pointless questions like this, though, so I'm askin em.
Watching the clock all day working inside. On the road time flies by.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Couple overnight jobs in our local that take a load to small buildings near here, shift for their pre load and bring a load back. One building has three doors, the other has five or six.
Yeah they do that for smaller centers, just have a feeder driver shift for the preload as part of his run. We have a couple outlying buildings with big preloads, 15-20 doors and 35-40 loads, those get their own dedicated shifting jobs. Pretty sweet gig.

El Correcto

god is dead
Watching the clock all day working inside. On the road time flies by.
Driving really does make a huge difference a 3.5 hour day in the hub feels like an 8 hour day driving. Driving you always have something to do and are focused on the next thing.

inside work the clock is moving in slow motion.

oldngray

nowhere special
Driving really does make a huge difference a 3.5 hour day in the hub feels like an 8 hour day driving. Driving you always have something to do and are focused on the next thing.

inside work the clock is moving in slow motion.
Inside jobs are a lot easier but mostly boring as hell

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Probably carwash in my building but the two FT carwashers have like 30 years+ in. Personally if I was a teamster I would go into feeders. However I am in the IAM union so my only choices are different mechanic jobs. I hear the GSE mechanic jobs are pretty good... well until some :censored2: drives a tug into a plane.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Probably carwash in my building but the two FT carwashers have like 30 years+ in. Personally if I was a teamster I would go into feeders. However I am in the IAM union so my only choices are different mechanic jobs. I hear the GSE mechanic jobs are pretty good... well until some * drives a tug into a plane.
Our airport mechanic always seemed very well rested. Every now and then he'd have to come out and fix a trailer that wouldn't put air to the rollers or some such but that's about it. Usually when I walked by his little cubby hole he was napping in his recliner.

ManInBrown

Occasionally get curious about this type of stuff throughout the day, so here's an opinion (or fact, i guess, if you just go by rate) survey question for you:

What is the best daytime (ie outside the hours of 12am-6am) non-driving union job at UPS?
If you have to ask what the best non driving job is, you’re 20+ years from having the seniority to get it.

rustys954rr

Probably carwash in my building but the two FT carwashers have like 30 years+ in. Personally if I was a teamster I would go into feeders. However I am in the IAM union so my only choices are different mechanic jobs. I hear the GSE mechanic jobs are pretty good... well until some * drives a tug into a plane.
Are your guys' GSE mechanics UPS employees, ours is a contractor whose terrible. And you'd only have to fix the tug. The aircraft mechanics fix the plane.

Dhydratd

low seniority hands down it's shifting/carwash but they have to stay a bit late sometimes into the next day.
high seniority has to be certain 22.3 combo positions.
All shifter/car wash positions are full time where I am so all the positions are filled by high seniority drivers who are sick of forced overtime. We all have more than 30 years with the company.

Last One In

In my center the co-chair of the safety committee has the easiest job. Comes in and walks around and doesn't run his bid route. Nice gig if you can get it.