Boy Scouts

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
742D4021-79CB-4C12-925F-C465C98D0DA6.jpeg

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was a scout leader for a year when my son was involved. Hated every minute of it. The boys were either half wits or a pain in the tush and the ones that cared got crushed by the others. Much like school.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I’m not crazy about this and I was a Scout leader for ten years and both of my sons made Eagle Scout. I took advanced Wood Badge leadership training and went to BSA National Camp School so I could volunteer as a Project COPE program director which does team building. I thought about going professional at one time.

Sign of the times. BSA was losing membership numbers and corporate donors came under attack by Liberals after a Supreme Court ruling. The funding issue was a shame since it helped inner city kids with a positive program. There are too many other things for youth to do plus they are just getting lazy. I did enjoy working with the coed Venture Crews the most. I have been out of it for ten years now, I get home too late to attend meetings.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
I’m not crazy about this and I was a Scout leader for ten years and both of my sons made Eagle Scout. I took advanced Wood Badge leadership training and went to BSA National Camp School so I could volunteer as a Project COPE program director which does team building. I thought about going professional at one time.

Sign of the times. BSA was losing membership numbers and corporate donors came under attack by Liberals after a Supreme Court ruling. The funding issue was a shame since it helped inner city kids with a positive program. There are too many other things for youth to do plus they are just getting lazy. I did enjoy working with the coed Venture Crews the most. I have been out of it for ten years now, I get home too late to attend meetings.

I did the same thing. Leader for 10 years, Woodbadge and on staff for two. My wife and I left after the change in 2013. She was a leader for 18 years.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I did the same thing. Leader for 10 years, Woodbadge and on staff for two. My wife and I left after the change in 2013. She was a leader for 18 years.

“Wood Badge Staff for two years”, that shows you were hard core. I was a “Thundering Buffalo” in the Atlanta Council Course 92-40. I was so grateful to make the last old-style Wood Badge class with a lot of outdoor skills. I was a COPE Director at Woodruff Scout Reservation for five years, I was also a rock climbing instructor. I learned and grew myself a lot as a leader. I also spent a lot of quality time with my sons backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and doing a 50-Mile Hike across Yellowstone. I worked with a lot of amazing volunteers and taught a lot of good kids, they were great times.

trickpony1

Post 107...WOW.
...and to think there is a former member of this forum that thinks your life is miserable?

Really?

Thank you for your service Scratch.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Post 107...WOW.
...and to think there is a former member of this forum that thinks your life is miserable?

Really?

Thank you for your service Scratch.

I haven't lived a miserable life at all. I like to think that my pile of blessings has always been a lot higher than the negative aspects of life. My favorite part of scouting wasn't the awards, trophies, leadership titles or so forth. Several times I have had a young man I hadn't seen in years approach me in a public place and it takes me a moment to recognize the face. They thank me for teaching them to cook on a campfire or carve a Pinewood Derby car with a pocket knife. Its the simple things that really matter.

floridays

@scratch, and @trickpony1 , Both of you men are to be applauded, there is no other time in our country that men like you both are needed to lead and teach our young men. Thank you both for your service to young men.

I loved Cub Scouts and did Boy Scout's for about a year before I decided to spend my time on athletics.
Den mother's are mothers, Boy Scout leaders are leaders of young men. Our nations boys need the Scout's more than ever before.

My intent is not to make this political, but is there anything the left butted into that they didn't ruin?
Thank You Sir's, I'm sure you have both been a great influence on many young men. Cheers to both of you. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

trickpony1

floridays-

I may have misled you.
I have never been involved in any Scouting program.

My focus is to offer honor, dignity and respect to Veterans and First Responders, alive and deceased, and the families thereof through the Patriot Guard Riders.

At a very venerable time, I consider it an honor and privilege to offer comfort, support and assurance to a grieving family.

I'm sorry if I misled you.

floridays

floridays-

I may have misled you.
I have never been involved in any Scouting program.

My focus is to offer honor, dignity and respect to Veterans and First Responders, alive and deceased, and the families thereof through the Patriot Guard Riders.

At a very venerable time, I consider it an honor and privilege to offer comfort, support and assurance to a grieving family.

I'm sorry if I misled you.
Even more honorable, Thank You Sir, for what you have done, and will continue to do.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
@scratch, and @trickpony1 , Both of you men are to be applauded, there is no other time in our country that men like you both are needed to lead and teach our young men. Thank you both for your service to young men.

I loved Cub Scouts and did Boy Scout's for about a year before I decided to spend my time on athletics.
Den mother's are mothers, Boy Scout leaders are leaders of young men. Our nations boys need the Scout's more than ever before.

My intent is not to make this political, but is there anything the left butted into that they didn't ruin?
Thank You Sir's, I'm sure you have both been a great influence on many young men. Cheers to both of you. :thumbup1:
I agree and disagree. I didn't like seeing women bowling at the men's state tournament but if they can kick my ass let them in. Being a righty doesn't mean you can't move on from the 1800's.