By Invitation Only

542thruNthru

hold up cowboy

what kind of issues does rain cause with a fireplace?

Lol ok.. well I'm going off what my home inspector told me but...

Our chimney when we bought the house did not have a chimney cap. We were told that water getting inside the chimney was a very bad thing. The moisture/water can cause masonry damage that also results in leaks that can spread. He also mentioned something about rain water and the soot mixing and becoming corrosive.

oldngray

nowhere special

Our chimney when we bought the house did not have a chimney cap. We were told that water getting inside the chimney was a very bad thing. The moisture/water can cause masonry damage that also results in leaks that can spread. He also mentioned something about rain water and the soot mixing and becoming corrosive.

Didn't you add a cap right away?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

city boys

smh

rod

Retired 23 years
My Chimney is a 4 inch piece of PVC sticking through the side of the house from the basement. But it is rarely used being I heat my house electrically.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
C9A22E83-0770-4599-8D52-CAFF3A92949A.jpeg

Good morning.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You have a masonry chimney or a prefab? Either way a cap is a good idea to keep water and critters out. I have a pop up damper below my cap. So much better than my old damper.