By Invitation Only

oldngray

nowhere special
29105c597.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
Coyote. They're paired off and territorial as hell right now. My buddy wanted to go last night so we went and he screwed us pretty hard on one stand and I had a bone head move on a different stand.

I hardly ever see them and when I do they are moving fast so it would be really hard to hunt them (here at least).

Are you allowed to use bait?

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
I hardly ever see them and when I do they are moving fast so it would be really hard to hunt them (here at least).

Are you allowed to use bait?

We are allowed to bait, but hardly anyone does. I know back home there were so many deer hunters it was pretty pointless to bait because they had so many other options and so spread out. Plus right now this time of year, in my experience, they are more worried about protecting their turf than going after rabbits or something. They're pretty "dumb" right now.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
Usually shoot them with a rifle a couple hundred yards away.

Thanksgiving. Called 4 in on the same stand. 1 came in hot. I mean :censored2:tin and gettin across the field on a string. Ran by us about 10 yards and tailed back into the brush. Couldn't get a shot. 2 more came out. I killed one and my buddy killed the other. Turned on coyote distress. Another one, straight black, came blazing out and barked and couldn't get him to stop.

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!
What caliber do you use? I would say min of a .243 or 25-06 up to a 7mm or .308.

I think the .22 varmint cartridges (.22-250, .220 Swift, etc.) are a bit on the light side.

I've ruined more pelts with a .22-250 or .220 Swift then anything. I hate .223. So my .250 gets the nod on 99% of my hunts. I have a CZ 550 American chambered in .243 that I take some but it's too damn pretty to have out.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've ruined more pelts with a .22-250 or .220 Swift then anything. I hate .223. So my .250 gets the nod on 99% of my hunts. I have a CZ 550 American chambered in .243 that I take some but it's too damn pretty to have out.

I have a Ruger 77 in .220 Swift that is an absolute tack driver but I never tried it on coyotes. I don't have a .243 (on my one of these days list) but do have two 25.-06's. One is a Ruger that just won't shoot very well no matter what I do and the other is on an 03A3 action and will shoot half inch groups (until its skinny barrel heats up).