C.I.R.—A Handy Guide

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Without reading most of the previous posts here are my thoughts on CIR. Select receiver 1, 2 or 3 or manually enter name. If you are already walking out to vehicle and it asks for a signature, scratch a line or 2 on signature screen, and move on. Why care?
That’s forging a signature. Could be used as dishonesty to get a person fired. And, if the package goes missing, could lead to said driver paying for it. Other than that, no worries I guess, keep gunning!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Um...no.
Customers are accustomed to signing while on the phone.
I’m not going to interrupt someones business call. If they sign I will point to the signature if I cant read it.
Did the people who came up with this give any thought to the fact that customers will have questions? Or be confused by the change in procedure?
Yes, it is stupid to erase a signature in order to enter CIR. But what is even more stupid is to go live on this program without first working out the bugs in the software and giving the drivers some pamphlets to hand out so that we arent having to explain this.

If the customer has already signed the DIAD I am not going to void the signature just to satisfy a metric.

tourists24

Sober, you and I must live in the same magical bubble even though we live on different coasts. I spend more time explaining the "whys" to customers than it would take to just get the signature. I'm not going to be rude and interrupt a customer on a business call either. Customer service shouldn't suffer at the expense of a metric.

It's the same song and dance with a release of something new at UPS. It has potential but is always implemented way too early before it's ready. Then you have to IE wizards saying how awesome it is.

i didn’t run into a single customer who gave a :censored2: about anything except that they got the package i was delivering

i guess you live in a magical place where customers care about our procedures, you have my sympathies for the difficult choices you must make daily
o7
You haven’t done enough routes then. I haven’t done a route that didn’t have at least one complaint.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
i didn’t run into a single customer who gave a :censored2: about anything except that they got the package i was delivering

i guess you live in a magical place where customers care about our procedures, you have my sympathies for the difficult choices you must make daily
o7
The perspective of the driver who delivers to the same community for 25 years and must face the people he pisses off...is a little different from the perspective of the IE guy who spends 3 weeks during peak delivering random bulk stops out of a rental and who could care less if the customers are pissed off as long as he generates a favorable metric for his report.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
The perspective of the driver who delivers to the same community for 25 years and must face the people he pisses off...is a little different from the perspective of the IE guy who spends 3 weeks during peak delivering random bulk stops out of a rental and who could care less if the customers are :censored2: off as long as he generates a favorable metric for his report.
some driver you are, you were talking about falsifying signatures lmao

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, you and I must live in the same magical bubble even though we live on different coasts. I spend more time explaining the "whys" to customers than it would take to just get the signature. I'm not going to be rude and interrupt a customer on a business call either. Customer service shouldn't suffer at the expense of a metric.

It's the same song and dance with a release of something new at UPS. It has potential but is always implemented way too early before it's ready. Then you have to IE wizards saying how awesome it is.
The sad part is that there is nothing inherently wrong with the idea of CIR itself. If just a little bit of common sense was applied to it, it could actually work. But when you combine half-assed implementation with bug-riddled software, a complete and total lack of communication to the customer, and a mindless, borderline psychotic obsession with generating a compliance metric together, the result is confused and unhappy customers and a driver who has no way of knowing whether or not to get a signature until after he tries to complete the stop. In other words...a typical IE cluster-coitus.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

Must be a big bubble because it seems to encompass me as well

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is just another poorly implemented idea. We went on it recently and the few commercial stops I deliver seem to like it. When it works...........I get a note saying to use it at certain stops. At some of these stops, it doesn't work after I tell the consignee they don't have to sign. Payrolls and lottery boxes come to mind first. I hate waiting in a convenience store if five customers are in line and the clerk makes me wait. That's the only time this could save me time and it fails to do that. It seems like my dispatcher upped my stop count a little bit because of this. I got back on the 9.5 Opt Out List and have filed every week since.

This is just another poorly implemented idea. We went on it recently and the few commercial stops I deliver seem to like it. When it works...........I get a note saying to use it at certain stops. At some of these stops, it doesn't work after I tell the consignee they don't have to sign. Payrolls and lottery boxes come to mind first. I hate waiting in a convenience store if five customers are in line and the clerk makes me wait. That's the only time this could save me time and it fails to do that. It seems like my dispatcher upped my stop count a little bit because of this. I got back on the 9.5 Opt Out List and have filed every week since.
It's like every other idea they come up with here. Let take a stupid broken idea and keep pounding it. Don't worry about the flaws, keep doing it.

How do we stay in business??

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How do we stay in business??

I think this same thought constantly with all the stupidity I see all the time. Problems are never fixed, the idiots who cause them are just moved around. It only gets worse and caring doesn't matter anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think this same thought constantly with all the stupidity I see all the time. Problems are never fixed, the idiots who cause them are just moved around. It only gets worse and caring doesn't matter anymore.

If only there were a way that you could rid yourself of all of this drama......

I have 43 working days left...my GAF has already gotten up and left. Perhaps yours should do the same. Dave.