California Dreamin'

nWo

il_1080xN.3039374094_dpa9.jpg

rod

Retired 23 years
I don't know of anyone around here only getting minimum wage. Fast food seems to start at $12hr and higher.
They start 15 year olds at 18 bucks an hour around here. Being we are a tourist area they are always running short of help. I know 12 year olds who work as dock boys at some of the fancy resorts around here who pull in 300 bucks a day in tips on a weekend.

PT Car Washer

They start 15 year olds at 18 bucks an hour around here. Being we are a tourist area they are always running short of help. I know 12 year olds who work as dock boys at some of the fancy resorts around here who pull in 300 bucks a day in tips on a weekend.
Sure beats the .50 Cents a yard I got for mowing when I was 12.

vantexan

Fast food work are not meant to be lifetime jobs.
Anyone who does think they are is highly mistaken.
Then you don't live in areas where there's little to do beyond fast food. Can't get one of what few decent jobs there are then you flip burgers. It's not working fast food that's denigrating, it's thinking it's beneath you so you go on welfare rather than work.

Then you don't live in areas where there's little to do beyond fast food. Can't get one of what few decent jobs there are then you flip burgers. It's not working fast food that's denigrating, it's thinking it's beneath you so you go on welfare rather than work.
So wouldn't the adult thing be to go where the good jobs are?

vantexan

So wouldn't the adult thing be to go where the good jobs are?
A lot of people do. I did. A lot of people don't want to leave their hometown.

Here's a scenario. You have four generations of coal miners. Mine gets shutdown. All your family is in the area. Your friends. Your home you inherited is owned. What do you do, take a bath selling your home in a town where the biggest economic driver has gone away? Or do you work at FedEx Ground? McDonald's? It's really easy for others to say go uproot your whole life and move somewhere else. Move out of your house. Move into an apartment. Start all over at 42. For many they'd rather hang on to what is home to them. More money isn't always the driving factor.

A lot of people do. I did. A lot of people don't want to leave their hometown.

Here's a scenario. You have four generations of coal miners. Mine gets shutdown. All your family is in the area. Your friends. Your home you inherited is owned. What do you do, take a bath selling your home in a town where the biggest economic driver has gone away? Or do you work at FedEx Ground? McDonald's? It's really easy for others to say go uproot your whole life and move somewhere else. Move out of your house. Move into an apartment. Start all over at 42. For many they'd rather hang on to what is home to them. More money isn't always the driving factor.
Money is the exact driving factor of the conversation. In your scenario, if you're content making fast food money, go ahead. The point I took from the earlier post is that if you want adult money, you need an adult job.

vantexan

Money is the exact driving factor of the conversation. In your scenario, if you're content making fast food money, go ahead. The point I took from the earlier post is that if you want adult money, you need an adult job.
Adult money to buy adult toys. Having material possessions aren't as important to many.

vantexan

Jfc dude. Never mind.
Seriously, can you tell me about the lifestyle your fellow UPSers live with their "adult" pay? How many have expensive pickups? Their wives have nice cars or SUV's? Big mortgages on their homes? They're just as strapped as people grossing a third of what they do. They just have nicer things. That's fine if that's what they want to do but someone living in a small town without access to better paying jobs may have reasons to stay there beyond getting more money to have more stuff.

Seriously, can you tell me about the lifestyle your fellow UPSers live with their "adult" pay? How many have expensive pickups? Their wives have nice cars or SUV's? Big mortgages on their homes? They're just as strapped as people grossing a third of what they do. They just have nicer things. That's fine if that's what they want to do but someone living in a small town without access to better paying jobs may have reasons to stay there beyond getting more money to have more stuff.
I already agreed with you on this point, you insist on having a different conversation. Again, never mind.

Meat

Adult money to buy adult toys. Having material possessions aren't as important to many.

I’ve noticed you always assume that those that were better retirement planers than you were either a) chasing money or b) materialistic.

I suspect you’re just jealous since you were on the cusp of bankruptcy at retirement.

Feel free to let the board know why Obama or the Clintons were to blame for your lowly economic status when you had a good job for DECADES.

vantexan

I’ve noticed you always assume that those that were better retirement planers than you were either a) chasing money or b) materialistic.

I suspect you’re just jealous since you were on the cusp of bankruptcy at retirement.

Feel free to let the board know why Obama or the Clintons were to blame for your lowly economic status when you had a good job for DECADES.
You obviously weren't paying attention. I quit after 11 years at $13.50hr. Came back, quit after almost 15 years at $18.17 hr. Wasn't making $18.17 that whole time.

We weren't talking about retirement planning. He was putting down those who choose to stay in small towns with very limited options rather than move to where they can make more money. Have "adult" income. Nothing wrong with making more. But many people in these towns choose to stay for fami!y and friends. Money isn't everything.

You obviously weren't paying attention. I quit after 11 years at $13.50hr. Came back, quit after almost 15 years at $18.17 hr. Wasn't making $18.17 that whole time.

We weren't talking about retirement planning. He was putting down those who choose to stay in small towns with very limited options rather than move to where they can make more money. Have "adult" income. Nothing wrong with making more. But many people in these towns choose to stay for fami!y and friends. Money isn't everything.
I didn't put anybody down, it's not that deep man.