Comments

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ground driver on my route drove a recycled 700 Express truck. I watched as he pulled up to a stop ahead of me, jumping out of the truck and blocking the front wheels. He explained that it was necessary because the emergency brakes+Park wouldn’t prevent a rollaway, and that his contractor couldn’t afford the downtime required until repairs could be made.

A FedEx branded vehicle.

No liability here, huh?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’ve driven multiple old FedEx vehicles through the years with the odometer replaced and set at zero. I sure hope FedEx has proof they gave the company ARI the correct mileage on trucks they gave them to sell. Definitely is a bad look. Maybe they should crush our retired trucks like UPS does.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ground driver on my route drove a recycled 700 Express truck. I watched as he pulled up to a stop ahead of me, jumping out of the truck and blocking the front wheels. He explained that it was necessary because the emergency brakes+Park wouldn’t prevent a rollaway, and that his contractor couldn’t afford the downtime required until repairs could be made.

A FedEx branded vehicle.

No liability here, huh?
You know FedEx. They’d deny all responsibility because they’re owned by contractors.

outtatime

But if ARI can prove THEY were never given the correct mileage, I have a feeling a judge will slam FedEx and not ARI.
Correct mileage must be written on the title whenever the vehicle changes owners, unless the vehicle is over 10 years old. I'm going to guess that no mileage was entered on the titles, and the service records have been "misplaced".

bacha29

Where's @bacha29 ? This is it! The smoking gun!! You've got them now!!!
Has it become that bad for contractors that they have to use old worn out Express crates? Express got rid of them because they were worn out. Isn't there a bible verse about this Tex? Something about worn out begets worn out?
I bet Fat Freddy made certain that they went to "lick and stick" states with very liberal vehicle condition requirements in order to get a state sticker on them .

rod

Retired 23 years
They forgot to add that although UPS crushes their retired trucks those trucks should have been crushed way earlier. :-)

bbsam

Staff member
You know FedEx. They’d deny all responsibility because they’re owned by contractors.
Incorrect. Those vehicles are over 10k lbs and therefore have Ground’s DOT # on them.

We had some guys buy trucks from this guy. For what they were, they weren’t terrible. If you crawl around underneath a stepvan, it’s clear that parts are there to be replaced and the duty life is at least 20 years.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Incorrect. Those vehicles are over 10k lbs and therefore have Ground’s DOT # on them.

We had some guys buy trucks from this guy. For what they were, they weren’t terrible. If you crawl around underneath a stepvan, it’s clear that parts are there to be replaced and the duty life is at least 20 years.
So you’re saying because they have Ground’s DOT # that the Contractors aren’t responsible?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I actually met a guy who was on a team at Freightliner who was responsible for the design of the 700s. He said they were designed to make it easy to make repairs and last. We had a very interesting conversation. He went from being a PITA (or so I thought) customer bothering me on my lunch, to a wealth of information. Lol.

bbsam

Staff member
So you’re saying because they have Ground’s DOT # that the Contractors aren’t responsible?
Actually whenever an on duty vehicle is involved in an accident, FedEx is held liable.

Locally a gal was driving to work from an hour away in a Ryder rental vehicle. Somehow she ended up rolling it over into a waterway. Since she was in the vehicle on way to work in the work vehicle, technically she was “on duty”. The contractor was on site with the EPA making arrangements for cleanup when Pittsburgh called and took over sending their contracted cleanup crew out. The last thing they want is a contractor making statements to EPA or news outlets.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Actually whenever an on duty vehicle is involved in an accident, FedEx is held liable.

Locally a gal was driving to work from an hour away in a Ryder rental vehicle. Somehow she ended up rolling it over into a waterway. Since she was in the vehicle on way to work in the work vehicle, technically she was “on duty”. The contractor was on site with the EPA making arrangements for cleanup when Pittsburgh called and took over sending their contracted cleanup crew out. The last thing they want is a contractor making statements to EPA or news outlets.
I did not know that. Interesting.

bbsam

Staff member
1621900125782.png