Does anyone successfully load then drive?

Going from 60-70 hours a week during peak to the regularly scheduled 15 hours a week is a hard adjustment. There are delivery routes open at my hub but there is a frustrating company policy saying no one can load trucks then drive a route. Has anyone here been successful in getting around this rule?

Sorry. I didn't explain myself clearly in the opening post. I meant, working the inbound shift as a Package Handler from 4-7am then driving a route. That route can be either Ground or HD. If you're Ground then your truck is already loaded but if you're HD then you simply transition over to your carts to load your van before leaving.

dezguy

I load my truck every day and then drive.

The old saying about masterbating is no one gets me off like me. In this case, no one loads my truck the way I like, like me.

It will be fine

Sorry. I didn't explain myself clearly in the opening post. I meant, working the inbound shift as a Package Handler from 4-7am then driving a route. That route can be either Ground or HD. If you're Ground then your truck is already loaded but if you're HD then you simply transition over to your carts to load your van before leaving.
You can't be a ground package handler and a contractor's driver at the same time. It blurs the line between who's employee you are.

You can't be a ground package handler and a contractor's driver at the same time. It blurs the line between who's employee you are.

I don't understand. They are two distinct employers? You clock out as a Package Handler then clock in as a Driver. Something I find interesting that will probably get unnoticed in this thread is that if you talk with upper management of most hubs. They will tell you that when they were a package handler they also drove. Which was beneficial to them in the long run because they experienced first hand what both jobs entail. Something people can't do these days.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Going from 60-70 hours a week during peak to the regularly scheduled 15 hours a week is a hard adjustment. There are delivery routes open at my hub but there is a frustrating company policy saying no one can load trucks then drive a route. Has anyone here been successful in getting around this rule?
That is not a UPS company policy ... that is a local UPS management decision.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
Is this some stupid FXG logic? You clock out as a handler, you clock in as an employee of the contractor. There's no confusion on who you are working for. Who's clock are you on? That is the employer your working for....

It will be fine

Is this some stupid FXG logic? You clock out as a handler, you clock in as an employee of the contractor. There's no confusion on who you are working for. Who's clock are you on? That is the employer your working for....
That works until you get hurt and the contractor tells you to show up as a package handler and file a comp claim against fedex.

MAKAVELI

At Ground you probably would run into DOT HOS violations anyway. But then again I'm sure your contractor probably would just falsify those records..........