Does anyone successfully load then drive?

Star B

White Lightening
That works until you get hurt and the contractor tells you to show up as a package handler and file a comp claim against fedex.
that and you guys get paid by the package... and if you were the same handler that loaded your truck... OOPS... I MISLOADED A PACKAGE! (cha-ching)

!Retired!

We have ONE person in our station who's official title is 'Courier/handler'. He is DOT certified, but rarely does deliveries........all at courier pay. Best part about his job is.....he basically bids vacation and days off alone. He can get ANY week and ANY day he wants with only 18+ years in the company.

dezguy

We have ONE person in our station who's official title is 'Courier/handler'. He is DOT certified, but rarely does deliveries........all at courier pay. Best part about his job is.....he basically bids vacation and days off alone. He can get ANY week and ANY day he wants with only 18+ years in the company.
I was classified courier/handler way back when I started. Worked routes and then came back for the reload at night and got paid 3 pay grades less than a courier. :cursing:

!Retired!

I was classified courier/handler way back when I started. Worked routes and then came back for the reload at night and got paid 3 pay grades less than a courier. :cursing:
Our guy goes to the ramp and RARELY does deliveries. He does all the crappy jobs around the station nobody else wants to do. BTW.....all at courier pay.
ONLY 18+ years with the company? At my station, you'd be in the top 2 or 3 for seniority for all couriers.
I'm just a few days short of 17 years. I can get Fall OR Spring break, never both. NO WAY IN HELL I get week after Christmas, day after Thanksgiving, etc. Now the kids are 18 and 16, so it doesn't matter anymore.
17 years at my station, and not even close to cracking the top 50%.
17 years and I'm right in the middle somewhere. Last time I looked, I was 46th. We had people transfer in, people transferred out, new hires, etc so I'm not sure anymore. We'll see in April when the vacation bid list gets posted.

overflowed

I've seen the exact opposite. Doing courier work but at handler pay. Some of the most pissed off workers I've ever seen.

McFeely

Huge Member
My station is pretty small but it's our high turnover rate that has gotten me to move up on the seniority list. I'm just over 3 years here and in the top 1/3rd of couriers seniority-wise.

We have a couple of retirements coming up too. Hell yes.

that and you guys get paid by the package... and if you were the same handler that loaded your truck... OOPS... I MISLOADED A PACKAGE! (cha-ching)

I know straight truck drivers get paid hourly. I am not sure about home delivery. Misloads are accurately tracked so there really isn't a way to abuse the system. Handlers load the ground trucks but leave home delivery packages on carts for the drivers to load themselves. The only benefit to loading your own trucks(Ground only) would be you don't have to reorganize. Handlers, at least I do, try to get to know a drivers route as well as I can to load efficiently but there are subtle changes that are difficult to foresee.