Forced to drive ground, after my air route.

Airdriver81

I'm a bid Tues.-Sat part time air driver. My start time is 8:00, and I normally get done between 11:00 to 12:00. I am now being forced to drive a ground route after I get back from my air route. Can they do this to me, I've been told different answers from stewards. Thanks for any help you can give me.

MrBates

Ask one if your buddy ground drivers to file a grievance. Over here in Jersey Air drivers are not allowed to deliver ground. When we file it stops.

PT Car Washer

I'm a bid Tues.-Sat part time air driver. My start time is 8:00, and I normally get done between 11:00 to 12:00. I am now being forced to drive a ground route after I get back from my air route. Can they do this to me, I've been told different answers from stewards. Thanks for any help you can give me.
At my building air drivers are delivering ground routes almost everyday. 10, 12, or 14 hours a day because they have no excessive OT protection. Mean while some regular ground drivers are going home after 7 hours (bonus ctr).

Indecisi0n

At my building air drivers are delivering ground routes almost everyday. 10, 12, or 14 hours a day because they have no excessive OT protection. Mean while some regular ground drivers are going home after 7 hours (bonus ctr).
They should be getting top ground rate if they touch packages. File file file.

JJinVA

I run air everyday, eams, then come back and run a ground route. Then again Im 22.4. But even when I was only running air they asked me to run ground a few times after at the beginning of this whole covid thing. As long as youre getting paid a temp driver rate why would you be upset? Id only be upset if they were trying to give me an air rate (which I dont even think the computer will allow you to code as an air driver once youve scanned a ground package)

UPSER1987

You would be getting ground pay all day. Why are you scared of that?

PT Car Washer

I don't give a :censored2: what the company "say". What does your contract read?
Air drivers work under Art 40 which supersedes all other Articles in either the master or the supplements. Always open to interpretation and sometimes that interpretation can change even after 40 years of past practice. Had a Union Steward tell me that seniority is only for bidding jobs or picking vacations.

Brown Down

Mostly for the EAM guys who then deliver 10:30 and 12:00 air commits and then run a ground misload on the way back to the building and want paid ground rate for 7 hours.
The point of ground pay all day is to prevent these scenarios. File the grievance and take it to your local panel. The union should light up management real quick on the use of air drivers on ground delivery. As for this scenario the air driver could have shuttled misload to driver. Same as shuttling a bulk stop to a driver.
So yes wanting ground rate for 7 hours is due to management who abuse people making less money with less protections. As for ops situation this warrants a new ft job posting and the union should be fighting for it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How many ground stops?