Former FedEx Ground driver turned UPS driver / ASK me anything

Doubleparkedrunner

As title states ; I'm a former fedex ground driver who bolted for UPS awhile back and will take any questions pertaining to the differences , similarities , and / or nuances of my decision to switch over.

bacha29

As title states ; I'm a former fedex ground driver who bolted for UPS awhile back and will take any questions pertaining to the differences , similarities , and / or nuances of my decision to switch over.
Please describe the differences between the two as well as whether or not you're any better off.

MassWineGuy

I have very limited experience working at UPS. My observations:

Their workday is MUCH harder than at FedEx.

They earn every penny of their pay.

The supervisors are generally far worse than at Fedex Express.

The work culture is that drivers are the lowest dirt of the earth but we can’t fire the Teamsters.

vantexan

You mean you have mostly envelopes .. same as it was in the past?
Before Ground I often had a 900 bulked out. Would deliver the big stop or two as soon as possible for some breathing room. But that doesn't compare to when I was a UPS runner for Christmas a couple of years ago and had a similar sized truck bulked out with mostly 1 or 2 pkg stops. Didn't drive that far, but getting in and out constantly while trying to make a dent in that load was an eye opener. I've driven 350+ miles on rts with less than 40 pkgs in the back and I'd take that any day over what UPS drivers do.