SCFeeder

All help appreciated!
I am a 25 year old woman Feeder driver with a bid job in California. I informed my manager I was pregnant. He then refused to work me. Sent me home. I notified the union. I wasn’t able to get back to work for two months. UPS terminated my medical benefits. A big fight between union and UPS. I was unpaid for the time I was off work. I grieved the time and they still haven’t paid me. It has been a year. They finally agreed to pay me but I deserve penalty pay. From my understanding of the contract if not paid correctly by the employer by two weeks after filing the grievance they have to pay full days wages for each day following until paid? Is this correct? Article 17.
Also, when I did get to return to work I was working 60+ hours a week. and they still refused to reinstate my medical insurance. I have pending medical bills pregnancy, birth, post birth to current…
According to UPS CEO we make $170K a year… maybe the sleeper runs. But can anyone help me to figure how much of that is in benefits so the company can pay me for the benefits I never received? It’s been almost 2 years and they still have not reinstated my benefits. But everything still gets taken out of my paychecks as usual🤦‍♀ wild! Yes attorneys are involved.
Appreciate any help! Thank you all.

HyperBrn

IIRC, penalty pay is 4hrs of straight time per WEEK for the time it takes the company to pay you for an underpayment after you've notified them of said mis-payment. In this case, they'd owe you 4hrs of pay for every week it takes them to pay out your grievance settlement. (Article 17 is your reference here)

As far as the rest, I believe the company would have to credit your pension for the hours you would have worked based on the grievance settlement.

And as far as your medical benefits, I imagine your medical coverage should be restored and back dated to before your grieved employment issues started. And if Teamcare (or whatever your medical coverage is contracted through) does/can not adjust your out of pocket bills to the correct values, then that's where your attorneys' help will come in most handy.

That said, if the company isn't bending over backwards trying to help you solve all your problems, they have a huge issue on their hands that could cost them a lot more than what you are legally owed to make you whole.

Good luck and keep us updated!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
All help appreciated!
I am a 25 year old woman Feeder driver with a bid job in California. I informed my manager I was pregnant. He then refused to work me. Sent me home. I notified the union. I wasn’t able to get back to work for two months. UPS terminated my medical benefits. A big fight between union and UPS. I was unpaid for the time I was off work. I grieved the time and they still haven’t paid me. It has been a year. They finally agreed to pay me but I deserve penalty pay. From my understanding of the contract if not paid correctly by the employer by two weeks after filing the grievance they have to pay full days wages for each day following until paid? Is this correct? Article 17.
Also, when I did get to return to work I was working 60+ hours a week. and they still refused to reinstate my medical insurance. I have pending medical bills pregnancy, birth, post birth to current…
According to UPS CEO we make $170K a year… maybe the sleeper runs. But can anyone help me to figure how much of that is in benefits so the company can pay me for the benefits I never received? It’s been almost 2 years and they still have not reinstated my benefits. But everything still gets taken out of my paychecks as usual🤦‍♀ wild! Yes attorneys are involved.
What are you talking about? Taxes? I call bull donkey.

Thebrownblob

All help appreciated!
I don’t understand why didn’t you go on FMLA? How was your manager supposed to work with you? What did you want him to do? And insurance does not come out of your check. 25 and already in Feeders? Pretty good. Congratulations on the newborn.

542thruNthru

All help appreciated!
I am a 25 year old woman Feeder driver with a bid job in California. I informed my manager I was pregnant. He then refused to work me.
I'm assuming you came to your manager with an accommodation. Not just tell him you were pregnant.
Sent me home. I notified the union. I wasn’t able to get back to work for two months. UPS terminated my medical benefits. A big fight between union and UPS. I was unpaid for the time I was off work. I grieved the time and they still haven’t paid me. It has been a year. They finally agreed to pay me but I deserve penalty pay. From my understanding of the contract if not paid correctly by the employer by two weeks after filing the grievance they have to pay full days wages for each day following until paid? Is this correct? Article 17.
Penalty is half your guarantee (4 hours a week) the first two weeks then it goes to 8 hours a week till paid. It is not a daily penalty.
Also, when I did get to return to work I was working 60+ hours a week.
Ok, what's the issue with this?
and they still refused to reinstate my medical insurance. I have pending medical bills pregnancy, birth, post birth to current…
According to UPS CEO we make $170K a year… maybe the sleeper runs. But can anyone help me to figure how much of that is in benefits so the company can pay me for the benefits I never received?
They are not going to pay you. They are going to back pay the contributions to southwest administrators so that they pay your medical bills that should have been paid while working.
It’s been almost 2 years and they still have not reinstated my benefits. But everything still gets taken out of my paychecks as usual
I don't understand what you mean by this. Nothing should be coming out of your check for medical.
🤦‍♀ wild! Yes attorneys are involved.
If attorneys are involved why are you asking us?

All help appreciated!
They usually put them on short-term disability so they get to keep their benefits but you don't get a lot of money from short-term disability

542thruNthru

FMLA and short-term disability are available. Short term disability will give you a weekly check and keep your benefits going. Just need the appropriate paperwork and doctors approval.
The problem in California is disability and fmla run concurrently, so if you go on disability after you have the baby, you will not have any fmla left.

California does this because disability is not a job protection leave of absence and FMLA is.

rod

Retired 23 years
Also, when I did get to return to work I was working 60+ hours a week.

I never met a feeder driver who didn't get his 60 hours in------even if he had to stand around for a half hour or more waiting to punch out. every feeder driver I knew was an overtime whore.

SCFeeder

IIRC, penalty pay is 4hrs of straight time per WEEK for the time it takes the company to pay you for an underpayment after you've notified them of said mis-payment. In this case, they'd owe you 4hrs of pay for every week it takes them to pay out your grievance settlement. (Article 17 is your reference here)

As far as the rest, I believe the company would have to credit your pension for the hours you would have worked based on the grievance settlement.

And as far as your medical benefits, I imagine your medical coverage should be restored and back dated to before your grieved employment issues started. And if Teamcare (or whatever your medical coverage is contracted through) does/can not adjust your out of pocket bills to the correct values, then that's where your attorneys' help will come in most handy.

That said, if the company isn't bending over backwards trying to help you solve all your problems, they have a huge issue on their hands that could cost them a lot more than what you are legally owed to make you whole.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Thank you so much for this! Most helpful!! I am working hand in hand with the EEOC. The investigator was looking for some clarification in Article 17. I had understood it wrong, as you can tell above. As well as she was asking “how much are your benefits worth. As you were still working they emailed you a refusal to reinstate. We need to know how much your medical benefits are worth so they can pay that ontop of coverage for outstanding medical bills.” There is a lot to the story and management refused me everything via text message. His mistake. UPS chairman emailed saying I will get back pay for the time I was able to work but management sat me out. They have refused since. I will keep updated! Absolutely. My issues with UPS are similar to the Young vs UPS case in 2015. Though I have text message from management saying “I cannot work you because you are pregnant. You have to have no restrictions to work.” I was 4 weeks pregnant. lol! No restrictions in my doctors note. I was just told to inform them now as they needed to train an extra relief driver for when the time came.

Thank you immensely for your response.

SCFeeder

I never met a feeder driver who didn't get his 60 hours in------even if he had to stand around for a half hour or more waiting to punch out. every feeder driver I knew was an overtime whore.
lol. If the jobs they created for us in my domicile weren’t all that long, I would’ve chosen a shorter one. Then again I am lowest seniority so I wouldn’t have gotten it anyways. Trust me I’d rather spend time at home with my family than on road. Work to live not live to work. The ones who stick around far too long to make hours must be running from something, trying to stay away from something or have nothing better to do…. Or who knows trying to put a kid through college.

SCFeeder

What are you talking about? Taxes? I call bull donkey.

I don’t understand why didn’t you go on FMLA? How was your manager supposed to work with you? What did you want him to do? And insurance does not come out of your check. 25 and already in Feeders? Pretty good. Congratulations on the newborn.
Thank you, I was lucky. Came from preload. Straight to feeder. Especially my age starting at 21. I hear that doesn’t happen in many places but my domicile is full of pot heads who’d rather smoke than pass a drug test. I personally had goals on buying a house for my family. To me it was an easy decision at first until I turned 23 and realized after two years the job and hours isn’t worth the money. I’m speaking personally. Don’t get me wrong it was great and helped afford everything we ever wanted and needed.
Anyways, I was refused FMLA through Hartford. I sent the denial letter to my manager and union unknowing why. UPS chairman got involved. He stated I was to be working my normal job and hours as well as back-paid for the time I was wronged. I wanted to work. I wanted to bring home my full paycheck. I needed to actually as we were trying to close on an house and needed proof of paychecks from both my husband and I. And I wanted the FMLA for when my son was born. Also to be clear, I was capable of working my job fully, I had no restrictions. After fighting to return to work, with help from union and chairman I worked my normal job up until I could no longer crouch to check the 5th wheels. Throughout this whole time they still had my medical benefits ‘terminated’ many emails, and phone chains trying to get them back. Where I live the only hospital is PPO plan which I had. Though it was ‘terminated’ . a week after I went off work, I went into labor. 33 weeks. Premature. I had to drive 1 hour to a hospital that would accept my husbands insurance. We live in a small town.
Did I make it? Car baby he was. All UPS needed to do was reinstate my benefits because I was contractually owed them and back pay the two months they wrongfully refused to work me. After the two months they refused me, I still went and worked 5 months for them!! Waddling like a penguin! So why the refused to work me is still unclear. Pregnancy discrimination is how the EEOC and attorney are see it as. :/ it’s hard to love working for a company and the people in it and then to have this done during what is supposed to be such a special and enjoyable time of one’s life.

Sorry for the rant. But know your reply has been appreciated more than you know!! And hopefully your questions regarding this have been answered as well.
Happy Friday to you!