Im not Tyler Binder but I need your help.

Plinko

Sorter/Safety Co-Chairman
I worked for UPS in the union pt from 2015-2019. I always assumed I would get a small pension when I turned 65. I just received a letter from them saying that the monthly deferred benefit does not exceed $7,000 and therefore it is going to get rolled over or paid out. I’m so close to $7,000. Does this mean I never vested? Can I challenge this in anyway?

Really was looking forward to that $300 bucks a month when I turn 65 in 30 some years lol.

Thanks for any thoughts. Btw I was in Central States (Cincinnati) if that means anything for the convo.

Plinko

Sorter/Safety Co-Chairman
You probably shouldn't get anything

If you don't put 5 years in you're not vested
Well that stinks, I think what this is saying that I will get credit for the years I did put in which is interesting.. because thinking about it now you are right I shouldn’t actually be getting a cent.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Well that stinks, I think what this is saying that I will get credit for the years I did put in which is interesting.. because thinking about it now you are right I shouldn’t actually be getting a cent.
You answered your own question.

Red Headed Stranger

As long as you were over 21 years of age, according to the contract, it says part-time employees will receive 1 year of credited service for 750 or more paid hours in a year (Article 34). If you attain 375 paid hours, you will receive a 1/2 year pension credit. If your paid hours are over 375 but less than 750, you'll receive 3/4 year pension credit. Paragraph 7 of Article 34 also mentions "The Pension Plan will also be amended to reduce the number of hours of service required to earn a vesting year from 750 to 375. This paragraph does not change how benefit service is accrued." So according to what is mentioned above, it is likely you did make your 5 vesting years as long as you worked a minimum of 375 hours in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Your actual benefit would be based upon the number of hours worked in each of those years. The pension booklet I received (August 1, 2018 edition) says if your Accrued Benefit is $5,000 or less, you will receive a lump sum distribution of your benefit. If they give you the option since it is greater than $5,000, I would tell them you elect to have it held by the company until you are 65 years of age. I hope this helps!

over9five

Staff member
I've known a bunch of people who have quit just months short of 5 years. I've told them to just stay till they hit 5, but they havent.
They'll wish they had someday...

rod

Retired 23 years
I've known a bunch of people who have quit just months short of 5 years. I've told them to just stay till they hit 5, but they havent.
They'll wish they had someday...
We had a guy quit 2 weeks before he had 10 years in. He quit to sell bathtub liners. He lives in a rundown trailer park now. Told me he wished he would have stayed for 30------no :poop:.

Commercial Inside Release

In the central, there is a concerted effort by management to get rid of any part-timers that are at top rate, and about to be vested in the retirement plan. Starting at year 3.5, and up to year 5, they will try anything and everything to fire them, or get them to quit.

Then they can rehire at bottom rate, don't have to pay so much vacation time, and get a nine month break on matching benefits. I suspect the union may give a half-hearted effort in helping these 4-5yr employees in some locales, so that the pension plan stays healthy. (Might be a bit of a conspiracy.)

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Went into management?
Dude....

Screenshot_20241016-074932_Facebook.png