Laid off driver filing for short term disability

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Had a young driver in our center who has been on lay off for a few weeks call me to tell me he separated his shoulder in a four wheeling accident and was going to file for short term disability.
I have yet to deal with this issue, so I was unsure what to tell him other than go thru the normal steps and see what happens...

You think he will get it?

ManInBrown

That’s an interesting one. Is he working in the hub to get his hours and if he isn’t, is he purchasing Cobra? I would think he would, he’s still employed just laid off. I wonder if purchasing Cobra is what decides it. Let us know. Here most of the laid off feeder drivers when it gets slow work in the hub to get their hours. I know one who got jammed up bad, didn’t want to work in the hub, took layoff, didn’t purchase Cobra and something happened medically where he had to pay a huge bill.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
That’s an interesting one. Is he working in the hub to get his hours and if he isn’t, is he purchasing Cobra? I would think he would, he’s still employed just laid off. I wonder if purchasing Cobra is what decides it. Let us know. Here most of the laid off feeder drivers when it gets slow work in the hub to get their hours. I know one who got jammed up bad, didn’t want to work in the hub, took layoff, didn’t purchase Cobra and something happened medically where he had to pay a huge bill.
This driver had zero punches week ending May 4, injury happened May 3rd.
Team Care benefits description reads this:
Key is "actively employed".
1000002678.png

Michael Scott

This is unrelated and probably a stupid question. But anyways, are our spouses covered under short term disability? I dont have any kids and wife has never been injured so ive never had to deal with it. I am assuming the answer is no.

Thanks

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Paying COBRA to get STD would be a near net zero transaction, but potentially a creative way to continue having free benefits while laid off? 🤔

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Was wondering if it'd be worth having our ORS enter a SVD Friday May 3rd...see if that would settle the whole thing. Or does it look shady AF

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
This is unrelated and probably a stupid question. But anyways, are our spouses covered under short term disability? I dont have any kids and wife has never been injured so ive never had to deal with it. I am assuming the answer is no.

Thanks
I don't think so. STD is for an injury or pregnancy that keeps YOU (the covered) from working.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't anyone limp into work on a Monday morning -punch in and "fall" on the way to their package car anymore? I've seen that happen a half dozen times. Maybe not immediately fall but sometime during the day report an on the job injury. Honesty gets you no where at UPS.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Don't anyone limp into work on a Monday morning -punch in and "fall" on the way to their package car anymore? I've seen that happen a half dozen times. Maybe not immediately fall but sometime during the day report an on the job injury. Honesty gets you no where at UPS.
Just Had a guy tear his Achilles playing basketball and I was trying to coach him into this but he said no...

Over70irregs

Umm ohh eeer. I was told there is one rule. Accidents away from work never happen unless comatose or paralyzed. It happened (here) on this (date) at this (time) x20

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
The driver could have been working 2 part time shifts, fully covered. Choose to be lazy.

Gambled and lost
He could have bumped, absolutely. He chose not to, and that's more or less what I told him.

I will say, it wasn't so much being lazy, as he has a solid second job that would give him 40 plus a week, so he took that.
But yes, ultimately gambled and lost.

He could have bumped, absolutely. He chose not to, and that's more or less what I told him.

I will say, it wasn't so much being lazy, as he has a solid second job that would give him 40 plus a week, so he took that.
But yes, ultimately gambled and lost.
A driver having a second job presents its own issues. Aside from that, why doesn't he apply for STD from his current employer?

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
A driver having a second job presents its own issues. Aside from that, why doesn't he apply for STD from his current employer?
Lowest seniority driver in our building. Went thru his package Dec 2022, has probably had two dozen driving days since then. We still are sort n load, so there really isn't much "bumping" potential for long term financial stability.
Alot of guys need second jobs those first few years to get by. I know I did.
I don't think his second job offers that sort of thing, turns wrenches in a garage AFAIK.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Lowest seniority driver in our building. Went thru his package Dec 2022, has probably had two dozen driving days since then. We still are sort n load, so there really isn't much "bumping" potential for long term financial stability.
Alot of guys need second jobs those first few years to get by. I know I did.
I don't think his second job offers that sort of thing, turns wrenches in a garage AFAIK.
I should say, went thru his packet late October thru peak.