Limited License driving

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I read up on "Whiskey Plates". Seems pretty friend'd up since the plates are attached to the vehicle regardless of the Driver.
Cops still need a reason to pull you over. Of course, they'll lie and make up a reason....
Couple of things...
Are they (cops) supposed to be psychics and know who is driving to justify the stop?

Next, 99% of the time any cop worth a S* doesn't need to make stuff up to get a stop. We as motoring public, (cops included) commit on average at least 20-25 violations or reasons why we could be stopped a day while driving and that is a conservative number. If good cop claims needs to make S* up, they shouldn't have a job.

Probabale cause is not needed to make a stop, just reasonable suspicion a violation has been committed.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 23 years
I read up on "Whiskey Plates". Seems pretty friend'd up since the plates are attached to the vehicle regardless of the Driver.
Cops still need a reason to pull you over. Of course, they'll lie and make up a reason....
That is the price you pay for multiple DUI’s. The vehicle you get caught in gets the plates and no they don’t need a reason to pull you over ( at least in MN. they don’t.) But you are right- they can always come up with a reason- true or not . And yes it sucks for anyone else driving that vehicle.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That is the price you pay for multiple DUI’s. The vehicle you get caught in gets the plates and no they don’t need a reason to pull you over ( at least in MN. they don’t.) But you are right- they can always come up with a reason- true or not . And yes it sucks for anyone else driving that vehicle.
In fairness to @Lineandinitial , as of 2003, Minnesota Supreme Court ruled the stopping of vehicles with a "W" designation was unconstitutional and the practice was stopped.

State of MN v. Henning
STATE of Minnesota, Respondent, v. Joel Robert HENNING, Appellant.
No. C9-01-1985.

So, the officer has to have a reason to stop but like I said earlier, any good, fair, knowledgeable cop doesn't need to make S* up to get a stop.

rod

Retired 23 years
In fairness to @Lineandinitial , as of 2003, Minnesota Supreme Court ruled the stopping of vehicles with a "W" designation was unconstitutional and the practice was stopped.

State of MN v. Henning
No. C9-01-1985.

So, the officer has to have a reason to stop but like I said earlier, any good, fair, knowledgeable cop doesn't need to make S* up to get a stop.
See- you are never to old to learn. I didn’t realize MN had ruled that way.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

State of MN v. Henning
No. C9-01-1985.

Absolutely!
Cops can just as easily just let some little thing go, unless they're pricks!