New hire. Any tips on backing to business docks. That are narrow

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Regardless of what OnG says, once you got used to having one, it was a pretty valuable tool.

I hated them at first, and always hated that they were on all the time, but it was certainly nice to know how much room you had behind you when backing.

Took me just about two weeks to get fully used to the rear view monitor.

I would have a much harder time backing up now if they took the monitor away.

My son calls it "cheating" when I back up in my Altima using just the camera display.

On a somewhat related note, I have one of the new pkg cars that have the shock absorbers built in to the bumper rather than the leaf spring things attached to the body and bumper. I haven't tried but I have been told that they will absorb a hit up to 10 mph with no problem.

Rack em

Made the Podium

My son calls it "cheating" when I back up in my Altima using just the camera display.

On a somewhat related note, I have one of the new pkg cars that have the shock absorbers built in to the bumper rather than the leaf spring things attached to the body and bumper. I haven't tried but I have been told that they will absorb a hit up to 10 mph with no problem.
There's only one way to find out...

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

I miss the leaf springs. Used them as a point of contact a lot.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Better still use your mirrors, Dave. I'm sure your Altima doesn't have 360º cameras as one of it's 'bells and whistles.'

MC0493

As far as backing up to a dock, i haven't noticed much of a difference between leaf sprung bumpers and the new shock absorber ones. But i haven't tried to find a difference either.. I do wish the back up camera could be turned off, it can be annoying as hell at night when you're not using it. New color monitors are neat, but i'd almost prefer the black and white ones, much more contrast at night. Color ones sometimes get hard to see.

Ms.PacMan

Rear view camera felt like there was a moon in the cab when we first got them.

I think everyone covered backing up in tight spaces. I'll just add - don't ruin it all by pulling out and not clearing everything beside you with the rear of your truck before you turn.