One big happy family 🙃

zeev

The amount of capital required to replace the contractors (managers), drivers, trucks, scanners, safety tech. and all other items makes this pretty much impossible. the current FedEx fleet is made up of predominantly sprinters and p500s which in no way could remotely handle the influx of volume.
Thats not even to include the new liabilities that are incurred with doing that.

my smallish building would require around 100 p1000s and 25 sprinters which is currently sitting somewhere north of a 7mil investment for a building that does just about 1 mill packages per year.

your manager is either on drugs or some extreme levels of copium.
Managers being told to deceive the sheep by saying everything will be alright.

It will be fine

Sinking ship
Has anyone at Express seen them purchase a new step van in the last few years? Around here they aren’t even replacing the sprinters.

I could handle all the Express volume in my area tomorrow without having to purchase a single truck. It’s crazy talk to think they’ll move to an employee model.

bacha29

It sounds like no one really knows how this turns out., even raj. My manager told us this morning that the company is slowly gonna weed out the contractors and be like the ups employee model. He claims the contractors fulfilled their purpose to grow the company and now we have to better manage “employees “.
I think you're right. About as well designed as Market Garden. What happens will be guided on the basis of FDX willingness to voluntarily surrender it's RLA exemption.

bacha29

Has anyone at Express seen them purchase a new step van in the last few years? Around here they aren’t even replacing the sprinters.

I could handle all the Express volume in my area tomorrow without having to purchase a single truck. It’s crazy talk to think they’ll move to an employee model.
That's if the "new" Federal Express Corporation decides to offer you a new contract and if they do remember the new corporation doesn't have to agree to negotiate a new contract. But rather...."here's the load, here's what it pays...do you want it or don't you"? ....Just like in the old days.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
From what I understood and I watched it. The merger is more so on the corporate side to provide flexibility between the 2 platforms.
You are correct.
@59 Dano Will be along soon to explain how FedEx Express employees will still be covered under the RLA.🤣
Maka will be along soon to tell us why people who almost exclusively transport air cargo won’t be classified as such.

Poor guy.
It’s crazy talk to think they’ll move to an employee model.
If you perceive that you’re thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to something that you think is going to be hitting the proverbial jackpot, it’s hard to look the other way no matter how silly it is.

lilwizbiz

They’re switching all express stations to electric vehicles. They’re already in production. That’s the reason they haven’t purchased any gas powered vehicles.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The smart move imo is to make the drivers employees. That part will cost more, but the rest of this transition are savings and increased revenues that more than offset just driver cost increases.
They aren’t cutting billions in expenses in order to turn around and take on more expenses. They’re not giving up the hybrid model.

Spam

Express will be part time at best!!!!

yadig

It’s not gonna happen all at once. FedEx has never bought a van, tractor trailers, they have always leased them. We’re hiring and training a bunch of truck drivers at my ramp to just sit around with nothing to do. What’s up with that?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I could handle all the Express volume in my area tomorrow without having to purchase a single truck.
Talk is cheap dude. How would your employees handle it with all the extra volume shoved into an already full vehicle? I’m sure you’d expect the extra work be done with any additional pay too,
wouldn't you? Let alone the safety risk of an overloaded vehicle.

MAKAVELI

You are correct.

Maka will be along soon to tell us why people who almost exclusively transport air cargo won’t be classified as such.

Poor guy.

If you perceive that you’re thiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to something that you think is going to be hitting the proverbial jackpot, it’s hard to look the other way no matter how silly it is.
" Completely unified Air and Ground Network". There will be no more FedEx Express thus no RLA exemption. Ttku......

It will be fine

Talk is cheap dude. How would your employees handle it with all the extra volume shoved into an already full vehicle? I’m sure you’d expect the extra work be done with any additional pay too,
wouldn't you? Let alone the safety risk of an overloaded vehicle.
I’m talking about vehicle capacity. I have a ton of extra. Express doesn’t have vehicles for their current volume. Ttku

It will be fine

They aren't unifying the networks to hand over the whole enchilada to Joe Blow Inc. If you believe that, you smokin some good 💩 bruh.
Ground has been doing the vast majority of final mile in the US for decades. Like it or not Ground is the face of FedEx to most of the public. They aren’t unifying the networks to increase their cost to operate.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Did it say anything about company employed final mile route drivers? Face it. Right now you don't know who's hauling what where and on who's payroll they be on . And I don't think corporate knows itself.
What is known for certain is that Fedex Express and Fedex Ground will cease to exist. Express and directly employed Ground employees will legally be out of a job and can only wait and see if the new company will offer them employment.

Ground contractors who have always been without legal standing to begin with are now faced with the reality that the entity to which they are contracted no longer exists. On the other hand the contract itself was never binding upon Ground to begin with.
It all depends on whether it is considered a name change, or a merger.