Open Seniority Drivers

Can anyone tell me that an "open seniority" driver is? From my understanding this is all cover drivers who don't have a route? Would 224s who pick routes like RPCD cover drivers be included in this? In my building we have about 25 22.4s who can't get forced on routes that were not bid. Now all cover guys who have been here for years are getting forced on routes instead of 22.4s. Can 22.4s get forced on routes that nobody bid on? And can 22.4s bid routes if nobody takes them?

Can anyone tell me that an "open seniority" driver is? From my understanding this is all cover drivers who don't have a route? Would 224s who pick routes like RPCD cover drivers be included in this? In my building we have about 25 22.4s who can't get forced on routes that were not bid. Now all cover guys who have been here for years are getting forced on routes instead of 22.4s. Can 22.4s get forced on routes that nobody bid on? And can 22.4s bid routes if nobody takes them?
22.4 do not get a bid route

Best contract ever

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Drivers with 20 years in still picking “ training routes” ( you know , the routes no one gets trained on) , unacceptable

🧔✊

We have 25+ new split routes going up for bid and nobody is taking them. We all feel the bottom 22.4s should get forced on them. In our building 22.4s are the exact same thing as a cover driver. The pick a route each and every day and do the same job as us.

AKCoverMan

This is one of those questions that can’t be answered outside your own building or local because things are different everywhere by local contract suppliants and riders. “Cover driver” is a slippery term here it means RPCD without a bid route, other places it means a part time employee with a regular PT job that they can be pulled away from to go driving when all available RPCDs are already working. We have no 22.4.

AKCoverMan

And this is why I voted No
Amongst other reasons

But Ive, isn’t it true that if there was not a 22.4 position those drivers would instead spend years as part time utility drivers or TCDs or whatever they are called instead of getting two three years of full time seniority and full time pension contribution? Or do you believe the 22.4s are replacing RPCDs rather than adding to the the number of FT driving jobs. I don’t think the number of RPCDs has gone down in lower 48 but I don’t get to see it first hand as we have no weekend ground up here...yet.

But PT isn’t it true that if there was not a 22.4 position those drivers would instead spend years as part time utility drivers or TCDs or whatever they are called instead of getting two three years of full time seniority and full time pension contribution? Or do you believe the 22.4s are replacing RPCDs rather than adding to the the number of FT driving jobs. I don’t think the number of RPCDs has gone down in lower 48 but I don’t get to see it first hand as we have no weekend ground up here...yet.
Well from my understanding you should not have any 22.4 drivers if you don't have Saturday ground.
With that being said the union the company had to agree on the amount of RPCD drivers and the 22.4 drivers cannot exceed 25% of the workforce

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
We have 25+ new split routes going up for bid and nobody is taking them. We all feel the bottom 22.4s should get forced on them. In our building 22.4s are the exact same thing as a cover driver. The pick a route each and every day and do the same job as us.
Do you share drivers with Elmsford?

542thruNthru

Nope, 22.4s are combo driver's not RPCDs.

AKCoverMan

Well from my understanding you should not have any 22.4 drivers if you don't have Saturday ground.
With that being said the union the company had to agree on the amount of RPCD drivers and the 22.4 drivers cannot exceed 25% of the workforce

Exactly we have no 22.4 here right now so I am having to see this thru your eyes.

It sounds like in your building having 22.4s is adding to the number of FT drivers. 22.4s don’t replace RPCDs, they move up to RPCDs with packet already completed no need to repeat, no repeat of progression, no loss in FT seniority. As I understand it without 22.4 class, these drivers would instead spend longer as a PT employee even if they were getting called to work FT hours on a regular basis as they would be classed as “TCDs” or some other name.