Seasonal employee question?

ManInBrown

Depends on local. In the 177 if you are laid off after peak, and brought back within a certain period of time, you’re seniority date is the first day you worked as a casual. I believe it’s 30 days from date laid off, to date hired permanent. If more than 30 the process starts all over again.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist
If I’m a seasonal employee now and they keep me will the 2-3 months that I work count towards the 9 months to start getting benefits?
I know that I started October last year and was told we would be laid off and then called back around March-April. My center manager and sup were able to get all of my time counted from my October start date, so my benefits started in July, versus what would probably have been December of this year or January of next. I was never laid off and alot of this was due to quite a few preloaders going into driving. I think it depends on where you are and timing of alot of things. They brought back 3 of us and the other two were laid off and brought back with their time towards benefits starting in March. I was fortunate.

Sixth Punch Sense

All about the benny's
IMG_9746-2.jpg

Ninja Cat

Okay, I have a fun new 'seasonal loader' question. I did my "interview", if a game on your phone can even be called that, in September, my start date was October 5th. When I spoke to the 'recruiter' woman, she was dumb as all get out "You don't pay union dues after the initiation fee" kind of dumb. HOWEVER, I was told I was taking a PERMANENT part time position. My UPSer account says I'm Permanent. Why does management insist I'm seasonal? What do I do at the end of peak, when they force me to leave? Will I get hired on at the end of it, permanently? Will I have to leave and reapply? I'm super confused by the differing answers to this stupid question. I've been here almost 2 months. The pay isn't GREAT, but I do love it (I've worked retail up until this, and this is by FAR better). I want a permanent job.
Someone told me because I only make the 14.50 an hour, I'll be kept, and anyone making the 24.50 an hour will be 'let go' but that someone was NOT management, and management is super vague on most answers. The Hub manager said we'd likely get to stay if we want to, the training supe says we have to reapply, and says UPSers and the recruiter know nothing of how this works.

I mean, because I'm nights and there's no HR there, nobody looked at my ID or SS card to verify I am who I say I am, which I am, but still. seeeeeddyyyy

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Okay, I have a fun new 'seasonal loader' question. I did my "interview", if a game on your phone can even be called that, in September, my start date was October 5th. When I spoke to the 'recruiter' woman, she was dumb as all get out "You don't pay union dues after the initiation fee" kind of dumb. HOWEVER, I was told I was taking a PERMANENT part time position. My UPSer account says I'm Permanent. Why does management insist I'm seasonal? What do I do at the end of peak, when they force me to leave? Will I get hired on at the end of it, permanently? Will I have to leave and reapply? I'm super confused by the differing answers to this stupid question. I've been here almost 2 months. The pay isn't GREAT, but I do love it (I've worked retail up until this, and this is by FAR better). I want a permanent job.
Someone told me because I only make the 14.50 an hour, I'll be kept, and anyone making the 24.50 an hour will be 'let go' but that someone was NOT management, and management is super vague on most answers. The Hub manager said we'd likely get to stay if we want to, the training supe says we have to reapply, and says UPSers and the recruiter know nothing of how this works.

I mean, because I'm nights and there's no HR there, nobody looked at my ID or SS card to verify I am who I say I am, which I am, but still. seeeeeddyyyy
They lied. They do this to thousands of people every year for the holidays. Show up on time, do a good job, and you can be kept on.

PT Car Washer

Things haven't changed much in 40+years. I was hired in Oct. worked trough Peak, let go for a few days and permanently hired on January 3rd. They are paying you about $10/hr more then when I started.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

A sucker born everyday

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

You should start your own thread about this.

It will definitely get a lot of wonderful responses.

Good luck

JustDeliverIt

You needed to have worked 30 days by Nov 15th. If you did then you are in the union and have a part time job. If not, than you need to finish those days after Jan 15th. If you want to keep the job and you didn't have 30 in, don't say anything and they will probably not be paying attention and get to 31. You should only be a few days short.

This is how it works in my building and generally around the country but each area has different supplemental contract language. Refer to that for the definitive answer.