Teamsters 401k ?

vmgr152

Why do Union employees do the teamsters 401K when there's no matching? There are many other options that are better. Is this because of lack of financial knowledge?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why do Union employees do the teamsters 401K when there's no matching? There are many other options that are better. Is this because of lack of financial knowledge?
So don't save/invest unless my employer matches?

What could go wrong?

It's an easy way to put away money that you might not otherwise put away.
Trust me you do it for many years you'll be grateful that you did it
Hey where did that half million dollars come from?

It builds up over the years
Ask the old timers that are on here?

Thebrownblob

The best saving and investing plan is the one people actually do. there’s a multitude of ways you could do things, but most people won’t do any of them.
Money that comes directly out of someone’s check and goes into a 401(k) is guaranteed investment money. It’s convenient and simple and works.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's an easy way to put away money that you might not otherwise put away.
Trust me you do it for many years you'll be grateful that you did it
Hey where did that half million dollars come from?

It builds up over the years
Ask the old timers that are on here?
Screenshot_20240728-210638_Chrome.png

Thebrownblob

But it is a good way to put some extra money away because honestly most people don't know anything about investing or if they had an extra 30 or 40 dollars a week in their wallet they would just spend it anyways.
Life happens and if you have the extra money in your pocket or your bank account, you’re much more likely to spend it before you invest it because mama needs a new pair of shoes or the baby formula.

Life happens and if you have the extra money in your pocket or your bank account, you’re much more likely to spend it before you invest it because mama needs a new pair of shoes or the baby formula.
We didn't have a 401k plan where I started we had the thrift plan.
When I started the 401K plan actually threw my paperwork out

Why?

Because I didn't know any better

I have a pension I'll be okay

Thankfully I wised up a little bit later on

oldngray

nowhere special

Why?

The thrift plan was good but it took forever to build up much balance. Most people would have liked to be able to put more into it.

Thebrownblob

Why?

I started at the tail end of the thrift plan. I really didn’t understand 401(k) but I started putting a very small amount in it and really didn’t pay attention to it. Maybe six or seven years later I paid attention and realized it was pretty easy to save and make money. Especially when you’re younger and don’t even think you’re gonna make it to retirement.

Thebrownblob

The thrift plan was good but it took forever to build up much balance. Most people would have liked to be able to put more into it.
The returns were amazing but you were limited by a very small amount you can put in. I can’t remember wasn’t it like less than $10 a week?

Johney

Pineapple King
I started at the tail end of the thrift plan. I really didn’t understand 401(k) but I started putting a very small amount in it and really didn’t pay attention to it. Maybe six or seven years later I paid attention and realized it was pretty easy to save and make money. Especially when you’re younger and don’t even think you’re gonna make it to retirement.
If I remember they got rid of the thrift plan right when they allowed hourly employees to buy stock, I just rolled my thrift plan money into stock.