Teamsters Union Faces Revolt From Members Over UPS Contracts

Yolo

This is the first contract in decades that actually makes significant increases to starting pay. Long overdue.

FT drivers will be making $40/hr.

Fighter

I was on the picket line in May of '76. I know some supplements stayed out, (Pennsylvania as I recall) but in the Central we were back after two weeks. Still the best contract money wise in my memory. 3 years, $.65, .50 and .50 with those last two years COLA adjusted to .74 and .72. Not bad as the FT wage going in was $7.31.

I know of no non union company that offers a pension to part time employees.
We were on the picket line from about September 9, 1976 until one week before Christmas. Over three months.

SteeltownBrown

This is the first contract in decades that actually makes significant increases to starting pay. Long overdue.

FT drivers will be making $40/hr.
As far as the raises go, we have had better contracts. The increase in starting pay for part timers was not something won by the union but rather given by the company because they knew they had to just to keep up. At the end of the 5 years part timers will be right where today’s minimum wage is in many parts of the country.

F

Frankie's Friend

As far as the raises go, we have had better contracts. The increase in starting pay for part timers was not something won by the union but rather given by the company because they knew they had to just to keep up. At the end of the 5 years part timers will be right where today’s minimum wage is in many parts of the country.
But with free family benefits after about 36 weeks of employment.
That's a $1400.00 raise that equals another $20/hr at a guarantee of 70 hrs per month.

Think about it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
But with free family benefits after about 36 weeks of employment.
That's a $1400.00 raise that equals another $20/hr at a guarantee of 70 hrs per month.

Think about it.

So in 2008 the union potentially conceded $14,000 for every new part-time employee when they made the waiting period longer. Didn't it go from 2 months to 12 months at that time? This was on top of the two tiered progression that came in during that same contract.

So, even with it going back to 9 months this contract, this means a new part-time employee will most likely be working without a raise for at least their first two years when compared to a pre-2008 employee. They gained a $5,000 a year starting wage increase but lost $10,000 in potential insurance benefits in months 2-9 of employment. By this I mean the cost to UPS for that same, new employee over their first two years of employment is the same now as it was in 2007 without pension contributions factored in.

Think about how bad the union screwed them over in 2008... unbelievable!

F

Frankie's Friend

So in 2008 the union potentially conceded $14,000 for every new part-time employee when they made the waiting period longer. Didn't it go from 2 months to 12 months at that time? This was on top of the two tiered progression that came in during that same contract.

So, even with it going back to 9 months this contract, this means a new part-time employee will most likely be working without a raise for at least their first two years when compared to a pre-2008 employee. They gained a $5,000 a year starting wage increase but lost $10,000 in potential insurance benefits in months 2-9 of employment. By this I mean the cost to UPS for that same, new employee over their first two years of employment is the same now as it was in 2007 without pension contributions factored in.

Think about how bad the union screwed them over in 2008... unbelievable!
Thanks for taking time to explain that info. The starting hourly wage for part time is messed up.
The (fleeting?) weekly incentive bonus isn't factored into the wage.
If they hang in there for the long term, even without planning on going full time, their total compensation is better than the minimum wage comment I was responding to.

It's never been easier (in the last thirty years) to get and retain a part time job at the company and that is a double edged sword for sure.

ski or die

Ski or Die
If the part time employees had attended union meetings, organized themselves, been aggressive in the latest contract, they have the numbers they need to affect a contract, they would have been able to force better wages and benefits for themselves. It shows when the vote was less than 2/3. But many part time employees are only concerned of employment as they work their way through school with no intention of making UPS a career, partially because of how they are treated by management without the knowledge of the union rights concerning harassment and how long the opportunity for advancement will be.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Is this ground hog day??? Same old crap.. The few locals that are fighting the system don’t realize they won’t change a damn thing, and they are pissing off the vocal where is my raise group. Don’t push the sleeping UPS giant too much because SOON you’re pension will be insolvent....

Days

So they effectively negotiated nothing then.

A REVOLT....... HA HA HA HA. The political hype train never stops here on browncafe. Voter turnout says it all, people just don't care.

Pretty much.