The Future of the Brown Cafe

brett636

Agreed but it would be even worse if it ends up in the hands of VerticalScope Inc.
Fully agree. Too many forums I used to frequent have become zombie sites due too VerticalScope. The sites and forums are still there, but nobody visits them anymore.

brett636

What is VerticalScope Inc?
It’s a corporation based out of Canada if I am not mistaken that buys up Internet forums promising to run them as they have always been run. The problem is once they get control of said forum they load it up with ads and basically destroy the community that supports it. The forum continues to exist, but it’s pretty much abandoned. There were forums I used to visit frequently which went from hundreds of new posts per day to maybe a hundred per year after being acquired. VerticalScope is the grim reaper of the Internet forum.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It’s a corporation based out of Canada if I am not mistaken that buys up Internet forums promising to run them as they have always been run. The problem is once they get control of said forum they load it up with ads and basically destroy the community that supports it. The forum continues to exist, but it’s pretty much abandoned. There were forums I used to visit frequently which went from hundreds of new posts per day to maybe a hundred per year after being acquired. VerticalScope is the grim reaper of the Internet forum.
So how do they make money if they are destroying like a runner-gunner burning it up?

This site barely makes enough off of ad sales to pay the bills. It's a niche audience.
It never used to be like this

You'd see these kind of numbers at 3:00 in the morning
Screenshot_20220613-184913-710.png

brett636

So how do they make money if they are destroying like a runner-gunner burning it up?
Like everyone else said ad sales. Many enthusiasts web forums have been bought up by vertical scope and they are all a mere shell of what they once were.

newfie

Like everyone else said ad sales. Many enthusiasts web forums have been bought up by vertical scope and they are all a mere shell of what they once were.
If it ever comes up for sale we'll see the general stats on how the site was doing. I would imagine the profit margins were fairly low with so many lurkers following the site but not joining or participating. With so many social media options competing with the site this page has its nitch audience where it once was innovative. you would almost need a buyer that is a part of the community to buy it that is committed to continuing the legacy here. Hopefully that will happen.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I personally think this should have remained a condolences only thread.. If so agreed Ill move the off topic about the future to a new thread, the future of Brown Cafe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We are going to move posts that we consider off-topic from the announcement about Cheryl and Tony. At this time, I have no news concerning finding a new owner/administrator to take over this website.