UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

PT Car Washer

You win, you’ll have made a lot of money and can retire comfortably.
I am just trying to educate the younger workers that the job has not always been this bad. We (the Union) allowed the company to demand more concessions every contract year. Used to be the company had to accept concessions as long as the company were making record profits every year. Now all the profits go to the CEO and share holders.

Chester

I am just trying to educate the younger workers that the job has not always been this bad. We (the Union) allowed the company to demand more concessions every contract year. Used to be the company had to accept concessions as long as the company were making record profits every year. Now all the profits go to the CEO and share holders.
Very well said.

F

Frankie's Friend

If you work here for 40 years and you can’t retire comfortably then you lived well outside of your means.
Yeah dude, a terminal disease in a family member that drained the family assets was "living well outside of their means".
You are so wise.

PT Car Washer

If you work here for 40 years and you can’t retire comfortably then you lived well outside of your means.
Or I enjoy my work and most of the Union people I work with. I am not ready for a gold watch and a rocking chair. I still have a lot to contribute to this company.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
It’s called standard procedure. When you have a problem you grab a steward and talk to management. If you didn’t have that steward there they could make up whatever they wanted.

What if they tell you to do what you can, you have 4 late air, next day they pull you in office and sup denies you told him about the situation?

Agreed. But I do send let them know via Diad or if a sup is in the area before I leave the building that there may be late airs. It is required you do so. If not they are able to dicipline you.

Still passing out warning ltrs here unless the driver has a witness that they told the company they would have late airs.

Facts from 3 different drivers from different areas in the country. Anybody see the common problem here? Why is our Union so weak? And now the Union is "considering" a 2 tier wage structure?

F

Frankie's Friend

Facts from 3 different drivers from different areas in the country. Anybody see the common problem here? Why is our Union so weak? And now the Union is "considering" a 2 tier wage structure?
Uh, what was weak about my post ben?
Btw is ben also your middle or last name?

Benben

Not your post friend. It is about the same thing all over the country. I run straight air, nothing else, and end up having a late air and its "assumed" the late air is my fault and the they come after me and I am forced to defend myself! You and 2 other drivers say the exact same thing happens in other barns.

1 word from the company about the late air due to over dispatching and the Union should be down their throats with both boots for harassment! But that is not the way it is anymore! "You should have said something before leaving." @#$% no, They are the morons dispatching this :censored2:! It is the same thing at the other end with 9.5's.

Why has the Union allowed this to happen?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Not your post friend. It is about the same thing all over the country. I run straight air, nothing else, and end up having a late air and its "assumed" the late air is my fault and the they come after me and I am forced to defend myself! You and 2 other drivers say the exact same thing happens in other barns.

1 word from the company about the late air due to over dispatching and the Union should be down their throats with both boots for harassment! But that is not the way it is anymore! "You should have said something before leaving." @#$% no, They are the morons dispatching this :censored2:! It is the same thing at the other end with 9.5's.

It's because you are always guilty, until proven innocent....and the burden of guilt only seems to lie on one side of the road.

Benben

If they get some sort of 2 tier wage system, I can see them shifting the work to these lower paid drivers and cutting the veterans to 40 hours. Hey, why not?

That will be the first step. The next step will be a "culling" of the higher wage drivers.

F

Frankie's Friend

He wasn't singling you out....

I get what he's saying....

When "they" do "observations", they are considered beyond reproach, no???

If that's the case, why do I need a "witness"???
They need s witness here. That's why two ORS ride together in a car to observe.
I had one knucklehead supe walk up to me while I was stopped for a red light and told me I didnt wait for 3 sec b4 i started up in the last intersection behind a car.
He said "pls sign here" on his form (at a red light mind you). The light turned green, i smiled, counted to 3 and drove on leaving him at the curb with his clip board.
1 on 1 doesn't mean jack.

F

Frankie's Friend

I tell them I will prob have late air when it's tight regardless of the odds being in my favor to get it done on time.
The look on their face as you tell them that when rolling out of the building is worth the extra trouble.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the Union allows two "classes" of drivers, the fight in subsequent contracts will be:

How many "1st Class Drivers Will There Be"????

Through attrition, the job of Package Car Driver, as we know it, will be extinct.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They need s witness here. That's why two ORS ride together in a car to observe.
I had one knucklehead supe walk up to me while I was stopped for a red light and told me I didnt wait for 3 sec b4 i started up in the last intersection behind a car.
He said "pls sign here" on his form (at a red light mind you). The light turned green, i smiled, counted to 3 and drove on leaving him at the curb with his clip board.
1 on 1 doesn't mean jack.
You must not negotiate the same state panel system I do???

....good for you, seriously.

F

Frankie's Friend

It's because you are always guilty, until proven innocent....and the burden of guilt only seems to lie on one side of the road.
Like this:
20180513_223758.jpg

Benben

Now the push for longer and longer wage progressions by the company comes more into focus. Once they can get the skins of center manager's and ORS's thickened with respect to firing drivers for any conceivable offense it will become a blood bath with respect to the tier 1 drivers!

Why wouldn't they???
They won't hesitate to. They won't so much as to take a deep breath before attempting to "starve out" the Tier 1's.