What the friend is the Deal?

MassWineGuy

Ok. I work pm Express but sometimes sign up to work a couple of mornings for some extra money. As most know, delivery volume has been off the charts. I go in, take a ton of P2s off of others and help make their stop count reasonable.

Not lately. Because many of our crummy vehicles are in the shop or just plain not roadworthy, there aren’t enough vehicles for everyone. And a manager told me yesterday that he can’t get approval to rent any. This means that the day side drivers will typically work 12 hours with hundreds of stops. Even UPS has rented trucks. And hired helpers.

It really sucks.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Your local terminal management sux... those paid company mechanics are that slow to repair them?

So FXG subcontract their vehicles and pass the headaches of vehicle maintenance to them.

We have mobile mechanics coming in the morning and evening since we're 7 days a week. Any serious work goes out to a nearby shop that the subcontractors pool to keep them busy.

Multiple rental vehicles as well to keep up with the volume. And they have mobile mechanics to do oil changes, tire swaps, minor fixes.

I'm in a Ford transit rental since I'm part of the cleanup team

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Ok. I work pm Express but sometimes sign up to work a couple of mornings for some extra money. As most know, delivery volume has been off the charts. I go in, take a ton of P2s off of others and help make their stop count reasonable.

Not lately. Because many of our crummy vehicles are in the shop or just plain not roadworthy, there aren’t enough vehicles for everyone. And a manager told me yesterday that he can’t get approval to rent any. This means that the day side drivers will typically work 12 hours with hundreds of stops. Even UPS has rented trucks. And hired helpers.

It really sucks.
Overtime might be cheaper than extra trucks on the road?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

It really sucks.
One management group’s budget versus the other’s. Vehicle maintenance won’t allow mechanics OT. Ops manager’s bosses won’t allow truck rentals. And as a result... customers suffer. It’s not about service. It’s all about the shareholders.

AB831

It really sucks.
Generally speaking, if you want extra hours, they will deny you every opportunity they get. If you just want to get off and go home, they’ll pile as much work on you as they possibly can. Whatever suits you better-time or money- is the area in which management will choose to oppose you.

bacha29

It really sucks.
If you think that's bad just go over and look at the rags at Ground where you'll find it's usual maintenance protocol ........Don't fix it when it's broke.......Fix it when it quits running.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Eh, some subcontractors are good with maintenance. Otherwise there won't be drivers using them & will find another subcontractor that takes care of their fleet.

I left a crappie subcontractor that was penny pinching on that arena. Wasn't worth it.

Currently, there are some crappy trucks that I and others refuse to work with on our lineup. But they'll soon be replaced with newer ones & either will be fixed up to be supplemental trucks or sold off to other subcontractors

MassWineGuy

My manager said that SOS freight commitment time is being moved from 3 pm to 4:30 pm. And that Express will eventually handle just business to business P1 and FO freight. I’m certain this means more hours for part timers.

AB831

My manager said that SOS freight commitment time is being moved from 3 pm to 4:30 pm. And that Express will eventually handle just business to business P1 and FO freight. I’m certain this means more hours for part timers.
Sadly, it probably means reduced part time positions and downgrades for full time routes.

cosis

We average about 3-4 FO's per day