Why do we have to wait....

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Come on @BigUnionGuy , @Inthegame , and even @Tony Q(just for kicks), Denis and Jimmy....

....help us understand.

It's a "reasonable" question.

It is a reasonable question, for which I don't have an answer.

It's above my pay grade.

No DVD this time???

I have some older ones I could give you....

Big Union Guy, don’t you have an insulting and condescending response??

Hey, I took my 90yr old mother to church this morning.

Confessed my sins in front of God, and my Mom. Gotta stay on my best behavior today.

Wait until tomorrow. ;)

Seriously;

I've been staying out of these threads, trying to be neutral.

After the 2-man committee and the IBT releases the actual language....

then I will formulate an opinion. At this point, everyone is just spinning their wheels.

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
....for the supplements to get wrapped up in order to view the details, all of them, of this so-called "handshake ageement"?

I have been patient, actually supporting the notion that the Negotiating Committee need not report every tidbit that got pushed across the table by either side during the process.

But enough is enough.

When the IBT asked for a "strike authorization", we deserved to know the sticking points then....instead we gave them blind, carte blanche power to strike.

Now, with a handshake ageement in place, what's the hold up?
I can think of no disadvantage to supplemental committees to have the "agreement" revealed?
Actually, it could be an advantage and an opportunity for supplemental committes to preview sentiment from the membership, so they could address perceived shortcomings in the Master in their various supplements?

What don't they want us to know?....it doesn't make sense.
I think the real reason is so the labor lawyers finish writing the actual language. But there is no reason we can’t get the meat and potatoes of each article.

Pullman Brown

To be fair, I have to say that's not the case.

They are claiming that they need all of the negotiations to be completed in regards to these supplements, not "passed", before they can release the details of the Master.

You are correct that many supplements failed to "pass", but they were all shoved down our throats with the Master, at the same time, last time around as well.

I'm asking someone to explain to us why that's necessary, other than "that's the way we have always done it".

I would be shocked if every supplement was agreed upon by July 9-12! If they are then someone is definitely probably getting something under the table!

Inthegame

Don't forget they are raising union dues this contract. So kiss that less then inflation raise goodbye
So that's the critical thinking you've done?
Your dues are based on wages sunshine.
You're full time so $1.00 an hour increase to you means at minimum $40 bucks a week more in your pay or $160 more a week, more likely over $200 with OT. Your dues go up $1 or $2 bucks a month. So follow along..you get $160+...the IBT gets an extra $1 or $2 dollars per month. And you think that's a screw job?
Some people don't deserve union representation.

F

Frankie's Friend

You're a Full Timer so $1.00 an hour increase to you means at minimum $40 bucks a week more in your pay or $160 more a week. Your dues go up $1 or $2 bucks a month. So follow along..you get $160...the IBT gets an extra $1 or $2.00.
?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You're a Full Timer so $1.00 an hour increase to you means at minimum $40 bucks a week more in your pay or $160 more a week. Your dues go up $1 or $2 bucks a month. So follow along..you get $160...the IBT gets an extra $1 or $2.00.
Certainly looks like we are not receiving any union representation if we got 0 of our proposals

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Hope they release everything soon. It should be fun going over the NMA from this contract vs the last one with everyone here to see what real changes they made and what they snuck into the different supplements. I just hope they give us more than a day or two to go over it.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
....for the supplements to get wrapped up in order to view the details, all of them, of this so-called "handshake ageement"?

I have been patient, actually supporting the notion that the Negotiating Committee need not report every tidbit that got pushed across the table by either side during the process.

But enough is enough.

When the IBT asked for a "strike authorization", we deserved to know the sticking points then....instead we gave them blind, carte blanche power to strike.

Now, with a handshake ageement in place, what's the hold up?
I can think of no disadvantage to supplemental committees to have the "agreement" revealed?
Actually, it could be an advantage and an opportunity for supplemental committes to preview sentiment from the membership, so they could address perceived shortcomings in the Master in their various supplements?

What don't they want us to know?....it doesn't make sense.

I would guess that many parts of the new Master are affecting the Supplements and need to have some details added to make up for new language. Example....your Local has a healthcare plan and pension payment that may not be covered under the financial numbers listed under Art 41 and other parts of the Master. The Supplement has to close that hole in order to make sure people don't lose their raises. The Supplement, in many cases, also addresses bidding new positions and how they are paid. Numerous other cross negotiations are needed.

This is the first time I remember the National allowing the Supplements to fill the holes. Every other time it has forced the Supplement to be done first and in some cases it takes 3-5 years(the next Contract) to fix an issue.

BrownMonk

Its pretty easy to read between the lines. The ones who wanted to play hard ball were kicked out of negotiations. Now we are getting very little information and eventually will have little time to look it over and vote. Its bad, they are playing us again. The strike vote was to get us to feel like they had our backs. Now they have completely taken strike off the table because in their minds its close enough not to strike. We pay our dues so they can represent the company. We are the ones who have to work under this contract. Vote NO as many times as it takes with whatever crap they send our way. Their track record of bad contracts is really all the proof we need at this point since they won't keep us informed.

Sean O and Fred Z were in there. They were in there last Contract as well. They are supposedly the opposition to the Contract and they know whats going on. They were the ones that everyone said would play hardball.

It was reported that many of the issues with the negotiations were brought up in an open meeting at the unity conference a month ago. The meeting was open to all members and non members as well as the negotiating team from all reports. I understand that many of the issues(questions) were brought up and never followed up which tells me the answer was acceptable. I also heard that Denis T. asked everyone in the room if they had any other ideas dealing with certain issues. Dead silence from what I hear. Sean O and Fred Z were in attendance is what I am also hearing. If issues were so bad, why didn't they talk up at that point and debate the issues?

I like Sean O. and think he would have done a good job if he was in charge, but I'm tired of everyone trying to use my Contract as a political tool.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your mom can sit in a pew for four or five hours?:rolleyes:

I didn't say I confessed them all.... :p

It should be fun going over the NMA from this contract vs the last one with everyone here to see what real changes they made and what they snuck into the different supplements.

They really can't "sneak" anything in.

Deleted language will have a strike mark through it.

New language is Bold and underlined.

I just hope they give us more than a day or two to go over it.

After the 2-man committee, every Local Union will have a meeting to review it.

They can answer questions and make a recommendation to the members.

-Bug-

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
I'm going to start a thread with full contract updates that are available to help ease everyone's mind until July 13 when all the information is supposed to get released.

Ghost in the Darkness

“As we move forward with negotiations, a major focus is keeping our members informed every step of the way,” said Denis T, Director of the Teamsters Package Division. “We will also be reaching out to our members for their input and help as we all work together to negotiate the strongest contracts.”

National Talks Kick Off

That was a quote from our negotiating liar in the Spring 2018 Teamster magazine. Almost nothing mentioned in the Summer 2018 Teamster at all about negotiations even with strike vote on the horizon at the time. Odd since UPSers make up the largest group of Teamsters.

We need to inform co-workers both FT & PT everyday of this and that the Teamsters DO NOT have our backs. Vote NO!!!

BrownMonk

“As we move forward with negotiations, a major focus is keeping our members informed every step of the way,” said Denis T, Director of the Teamsters Package Division. “We will also be reaching out to our members for their input and help as we all work together to negotiate the strongest contracts.”

National Talks Kick Off

That was a quote from our negotiating liar in the Spring 2018 Teamster magazine. Almost nothing mentioned in the Summer 2018 Teamster at all about negotiations even with strike vote on the horizon at the time. Odd since UPSers make up the largest group of Teamsters.

We need to inform co-workers both FT & PT everyday of this and that the Teamsters DO NOT have our backs. Vote NO!!!

Putting some stuff out there right now until the business agents are informed and able to explain what it means is ludicrous. The 2 man meeting will answer all the questions and will be leaked within minutes of everyone seeing it.